The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 PM

Yukon Jack is on a distinguished road
Default Hoppers

Now that hopper season is starting up I was wondering what are some of your techniques for fishing them? I know some use them as a indicator for a dropper.

Thanks,
Yukon Jack
Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hoppers

Jack
Here's a little bow I caught Sat. at Elevenmile canyon on a Dave's hopper #10. Just cast it upstream, let it drift and when it nears the end of the swing twitch the rod tip gently. Wham!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0051.jpg (42.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Also, on lakes, ponds, etc. let the wind/current take them near the shore line near structure or under trees- Bang!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jack,

I really like hopper season. I will usually use a Stimulator as an indicator fly with a nymph as a dropper. Most of the time the fish takes the Stimulator. I fish from my pontoon boat and float the Stimulator right against a bank with grass over hanging. A very effective way to catch trout.

Frank
Old 07-18-2008, 05:32 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

Grasshoppers are heavy insects, try slamming the fly into the water along the banks and overhanging brush when you present the fly. No need to be delicate. I've found a little slap when it lands really turns fish on. Although it takes a while for trout to key in on hoppers in the summer, they'll often stay keyed in on them long into the fall. I've had great hopper action in early october when its rain/snowing and windy.