The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 02:42 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: toughest reel under $100?

Take your hundred bucks, buy two medalists, take the $50 you have left and take your significant other out for dinner.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-27-2010, 02:49 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Take your hundred bucks, buy two medalists, take the $50 you have left and take your significant other out for dinner.
that sounds great!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Okuma Sierra. These things are solid buys. Medalists, well they're classics.

If you are looking for something machined, go with a Battenkill Mid Arbor. On sale right now and completely bulletproof. I have a MA II that I have used on my 4 and 5 wt and it's served me very, very well. Backed with a solid warranty too. The drag is so solid on this thing, I would be confident fishing with it for Steelhead.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

fishfish2010 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
+1 for Okuma Sierra. These things are solid buys. Medalists, well they're classics.

If you are looking for something machined, go with a Battenkill Mid Arbor. On sale right now and completely bulletproof. I have a MA II that I have used on my 4 and 5 wt and it's served me very, very well. Backed with a solid warranty too. The drag is so solid on this thing, I would be confident fishing with it for Steelhead.
Battenkill Mid Arbor?might be a good choice?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 AM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
I not looking for one that is pretty or a particular style,just strong. Give me some advice/recommendations.

thanks!

flymoron
Check out the e auction site. Most vintage fly reels are remarkably durable.

There isn't a whole lot too them, and despite what the salesmen tell you, don't be afraid to go vintage. They will also work great. The first reel I ever bought was a Lamson Konic 3.5, I've since realized that it is not necessary to spend that much.

Click the image to open in full size.

I found that a pflueger will do just as good of a job, as a more expensive reel. What your paying for in a more expensive reel, is lighter weight, looks, and bragging rights.

When it comes to fly fishing, I have found that a reel, isn't as important as it is, with other fishing methods. I'n my own fishing, I do prefer rim control, any reel that has that, instantly levels the playing field in drag capacity.

I've only lost one fly reel in my life, and it was a later modeled Cortland. The only reason it was lost, was because it was dropped.

Last edited by charged; 09-29-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Hey Charged,

Is that a South Bends I see on that bottom shelf?
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Orvis Madison, I think Ant
Old 09-28-2010, 10:46 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The silver with a tan rim reel dead center is an Ocean City #77 I have the same on a 5wt switch. LOVE IT!! Love it more since I paid like 30 some odd dollars for it too! Looks like there are a few OC's in that killer collection.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:23 PM

trick has a spectacular aura abouttrick has a spectacular aura about

While I don't have the fly fishing experience that most if not all folks on this sight have , I purchased an Allen Cassette reel before my Colorado trip and was very pleased. The guide I hired for a day was impressed, and several people stopped me to asked about it. Everyone was sure it was a $300+ reel, and was shocked when I told them it was under $100. I just ordered an Alpha series 3/4wt. I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

Matt
Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I meant the one on the bottom shelf, far right, third from bottom. It's maroon and chrome. Looks almost like a twin to a South Bend I have, except mine is all maroon.

Either way, that's a cool collection of reels. I'm using this pic as proof to the Misses that I have a serious shortage of reels.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog