The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: toughest reel under $100?

I think your right there Ant I have the same except all green.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 AM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
I would agree with MP, there's probably no better starter reel than the Medalist, tuff and inexpensive spools. If you want a machined reel, check out Tiogas or Tetons, they may be a bit over $100, but they are rugged, full cage designs made in USA. milt.
I have called Teton Reels 4 or 5 times during their business hours and they never answer. I am calling them about my teton that needs servicing and am worried they are going out of business too!!

For under $100 I would second either a medalist or a Allen
Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

did you call the correct number? read this if you haven't yet:

FAQ | Teton USA

and for service: http://www.tetonusa.com/?page_id=239

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:57 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
I meant the one on the bottom shelf, far right, third from bottom. It's maroon and chrome. Looks almost like a twin to a South Bend I have, except mine is all maroon.

Either way, that's a cool collection of reels. I'm using this pic as proof to the Misses that I have a serious shortage of reels.
The green reel is a Southbend. the Maroon reel is a medalist clone that I have been told is made by Compaq out of Japan. The majority of the collection consists of Pfluegers, OceanCity, Martin's and Diawa. Basically there workingman reels, and most all of them were purchased second hand between $5-20. Some of them needed some tuning after purchasing, but I would have no problem with taking any of them fishing. I also have three of the Chinese disk drag reels, so far they have held up great, but I haven't used them enough to honestly be able to recommend them. So far, they have been good to me.

Last edited by charged; 09-29-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Charged,
I love the Ocean City's! Good ole classic Americana made in Philly! With 150yrds of backing it took probably another 200' or so of 20lb cajun mono as running line (stretched), thats with a short 18' skagit type shooting head. Whould you happen to know what the biggest diameter spool they have? The largest I came across was the #77 and that's just a shade over three and a quater. I'de like to find something atleast 3.5 or even 4 for my 7wt switch.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
. Basically there workingman reels, and most all of them were purchased second hand between $5-20.
I think that's awesome. I prefer stuff like that, that way when I bang it around I don't feel so bad.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-30-2010, 02:33 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Whould you happen to know what the biggest diameter spool they have? .
I'm not sure, the largest I have is the No.36. Its spool is 3"x1", it holds quite a bit of line since it has a small arbor.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:06 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
I not looking for one that is pretty or a particular style,just strong. Give me some advice/recommendations.

thanks!

flymoron
Reality sets in and asks- what rod is it going on- what line weight, what's the rod length. They all come into play to get you a reel that's going to balance out your rod.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:45 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Reality sets in and asks- what rod is it going on- what line weight, what's the rod length. They all come into play to get you a reel that's going to balance out your rod.
I was considering it for a 7 ft graphite 7wt.

flymoron
Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
did you call the correct number? read this if you haven't yet:

FAQ | Teton USA

and for service: Support | Teton USA

eric
fresno, ca.
Hi Eric, I am too lazy to read those links, but I did call the number on teton's site (1 877 teton usa? or 800?). I called it many times. The simple answer is basically they dont answer their phones. After leaving several messages I did finally get a response. So if you need to talk to them, do not expect them to pick up the phone and expect to have to leave 5 -10 voice mails!

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
I would agree with MP, there's probably no better starter reel than the Medalist, tuff and inexpensive spools. If you want a machined reel, check out Tiogas or Tetons, they may be a bit over $100, but they are rugged, full cage designs made in USA. milt.

I cant comment on current teton usa, but I can comment on the pre 2010 models. Had 2, a 4 wt tioga and a spey sized magnum. Both gave me problems. Ross reels: never have given me problems (both worldwide and usa)
Snowbee: never have given me problems.

Magnum: spool would just Fall off!! I would be on a fast flowing steelhead/salmon river, and the thing would sink to the bottom. I am over 200 pounds so I am a "strong wader". Can you imagine being in water where a 100 pound person would be swept away, and your spool is at the bottom of the river being pushed downward? If you want to "reel" it in with the line on your rod, you have to wait till you get to the arbor knot, and past 200 yards of backing. I poked it with my staff to get it to reachable level, had a ton of line leader downstream, and waded back to shore with one hand holding spool and other rod. Without staff I feel and almost drowned!!

tioga: spool is stuck on. using lever to get it off doesnt work. trying to reel it in is at approximately drag setting. Have no line on it so it isnt putting line on backwards.

NOTE!!!!!!!

I do not think either the tioga or magnum are sold by the new teton usa