The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default toughest reel under $100?

I not looking for one that is pretty or a particular style,just strong. Give me some advice/recommendations.

thanks!

flymoron
Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: toughest reel under $100?

Allen reels are tough
Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If we are just going to stay with freshwater product, I'm going to say that the toughest reel under $100 is the Pflueger Medalist. They seem to last forever. It is kind of like an M-16. It can be field serviced easily.

MP
Old 09-27-2010, 12:19 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with MP, there's probably no better starter reel than the Medalist, tuff and inexpensive spools. If you want a machined reel, check out Tiogas or Tetons, they may be a bit over $100, but they are rugged, full cage designs made in USA. milt.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Medalists are cheap and built like tanks, but if you don't mind getting closer to the $100 mark, you can't beat an Allen reel. My Allen is a lot nicer than the reels I was looking at that cost twice as much.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-27-2010, 06:38 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

okuma serria, medalist are both bullet proof in my book.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I have case full of the fancy schmancy reels, yet I always head straight for the old Okuma every time! That puppy has been bounced off rocks, parking lots, dropped rather unceremoniously into rivers, lakes, streams, and like the old Timex watches, keeps right on ticking!! The scrapes and scratches it wears only makes it more dear to me. May have paid $35 for it on sale!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish medalists in fresh water and SA System 2 reels in the salt
The System 2s deserve the same reputation as medalists IMO and are time tested. They retail for a bit more but you should be able to find one for just over $100
Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 PM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

All the reels mentioned I have, and I agree they are all tough as nails. If you want to take advantage of a large arbor reel (faster) the LL bean streamlight LA is $60.00. Other than being heavier than more expensive ones it's a fine reel with a good drag. It would never last as long as my old usa made medalists but for 60 bucks you get alot of reel. IMHO.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I have Medalists, Battenkills, Bauers, Ocean City, and an Okuma. For a reel under 100 bones I would say my Ocean City is the finest of all of them but I use it in a spey capacity. Its click and prawl and will only see fresh water. The Okuma comes in at a close second I originally picked it up on sale as well and used it in salt water. The downside was drop it and scratch the enamel finish and it will oxodize in a heartbeat! Still it lasted a long time getting put through its paces in the salt water, now the reel is nearly completly void of any of the enamel finish and the outgoing click is no more but the drag is still smooth as silk.