The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 03:22 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Which way to go ???

Good Day to all,

Not sure if we've ever discussed this or not ???

Have you ever been out wading a spot where the water maybe moving pretty good & you've discovered that you cannot get out either to the left, or the right because the water depth each way is too deep ? Also, when you try to fight & walk back upstream the current is so strong that your feet actually slide on the gravel bottom ? Did you panic somewhat, or just keep fighting your way out ? I know I've mentioned before in other threads that I for one am glad I spent the $$$ for a good wading staff. Did I mention that this was during fall/winter steelhead season when the water maybe a little colder than usual & the air temp maybe down around, or below freezing.

It did happen to me on the Pere Marquette in Michigan, but I kept fighting back upstream, rather than take a plunge in icy cold water. The water in the middle of the river was around knee deep & it took 10+ minutes to get out.

Have you had similar situations ?? Did you perfect a different means of exiting without going down ? Please share your experiences, or thoughts.

Tie One On-------------------<*)))))))><
Old 07-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Which way to go ???

Hi tie one on,

It has happened to me and I am sure it has happen to most people who fish a lot. I don't like to wade any water that the currant washes the sand or gravel out from under my foot. If I feel that happening I will back out the way I came. Before I started using a wading staff I have picked up a sturdy limb and use that to get across a fast currant.

I have also picked out a path to an island and then when I try to return I can't find my path. With hip boats I have taken water many times. I just say the heck with it and go in over the boot tops to get back.

One time while bear hunting I crossed a stream that was about armpit deep with my gun over my head. We were stocking a bear and it was that or give up on the bear. I was wearing hip boots, like most Alaskan hunters, and they were just extra baggage. After you get on the other side you pull down the hip boats and let out what water you can get out and trudge on. I have also gotten stuck in the mud up above my knee cap and pulled off my hip boat in the mud. That is not a fun experience.

Frank
Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 PM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road

Frank's experiences sound all to familiar

When I get in water too deep I just say a little prayer and press on, hoping for the best. Probably not the smartest idea, but it's worked for me so far. One of these day's I'm going to end up swimming across the river I meant to wade . . .

--W
Old 07-18-2008, 06:26 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I don't take any chances wading. If it's too fast, or too deep. I back out.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Had a couple close calls. Since then, I'm with you OldMan, I don't take the chance.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to all,

I am older and smarter now. I went to waist high waders a few years ago so I wouldn't wade too deep and get into trouble.

Frank
Old 07-18-2008, 08:24 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I still get in trouble once in awhile even when I know better. I almost drowned once (my version) and got out too deep and the current started to push me down the river. Water was about waist high. I took a step (a no-no!) and the current swept me down below a boulder and under 2X. I figured three and I was a goner but somehow managed to grab a branch and pull myself out. The other time was recently but as I turned (waist high again)my feet got caught and down I went up to my neck. Tailwater river and it was pretty cold! Wrung my clothes out and kept fishing. Glad to see the sun come over the mountain though!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Hi John,

Wow, sounds like you need a pair of waist highs.

Frank
Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Yukon Jack is on a distinguished road

The older I get the less chances I take. They say the fishing is good in the next place we go to from here, but I have not caught all I want to down here yet, or is it up here?

Be safe,

Yukon Jack
Old 07-19-2008, 02:17 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

I'm a timid soul, so careful that I went for over 20 years without losing a round of Hydrology Roulette. But back earlier in the learning curve, I was fishing my way down a submerged bar out in the Yellowstone River. Not paying enough attention, I found myself being pushed down the downstream slope, my bouyancy/traction ratio getting worse by the step, until I was pushed into deep water. Taking my rod between my teeth, I stroked back to the surface, at one point face to face with an amazed-looking cutthroat.

Sometimes I've found myself so close to the tipping point that I could only back out, retracing my route without trying to turn around. When in doubt about a wading challenge, and I frequently am, I grab a stout stick from the bank (I always seem to find one), and brace it downstream at 45 degrees with a two-handed grip. (The rod butt goes down the front of my waders.) Turning yourself from a bipod to a tripod is a big, big help.