The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Wahl.flies is on a distinguished road
Default Need suggestions on rod/reel.

Hello all,

I looked around for information on here and couldn’t find anything on a nice rod/reel combos to start with for trout / small bass. I came across a post from 2007 and thought there must be something new and improved. I have had interest in fly fishing for a long time. I have messed around with my brother’s fly rod and know some basics. It is time to buy my own rod/reel.

So, what would you recommend? My limit is $500 for the rod/reel and need something for trout and small bass (5wt maybe?). Any help, comments and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 06:17 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need suggestions on rod/reel.

There are lots of good products out there. One of the realities is that rod technology has improved in the lower price points. Consider it the trickle down effect. High end technologies from years past have trickled down to the lower price points.

A 5 weight will be a good choice to get you started, but a 6 weight is not a bad option. The 6 weight will be able to help you throw larger flies more efficiently than a 5 weight.

Here is an example of a popular setup that will fit your needs.

Sage Vantage 590-4 $250 (You can go with a 690-4 if you want to go heavier.)
Lamson Konic 2 $130
Rio Grand WF5F $70 (WF6F if you want to use a 6 weight rod)
Backing $10

Total $460 + applicable taxes

MP
Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Here is an example of a popular setup that will fit your needs.

Sage Vantage 590-4 $250 (You can go with a 690-4 if you want to go heavier.)
Lamson Konic 2 $130
Rio Grand WF5F $70 (WF6F if you want to use a 6 weight rod)
Backing $10

Total $460 + applicable taxes

MP
Great set-up there.

Another option would be to switch the rod out to an Echo Carbon and save $90 there, and switch the line to SA's Headstart to save another $25.

That $115 would buy a nice pair of wading boots or a decent set of waders.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 AM

bigtroutak is on a distinguished road

The best bang for your buck for the rod is going to be Temple Fork Outfitters :

Temple Fork Outfitters Fly Rods

Quality rods with lifetime warranties at decent prices ($100-150)

Okuma, Pflueger and Ross all make quality, large arbor reels in the neighborhood of 50-100.

ROSS REELS FLYRISE 2 FLY REEL (4-6WT)

For your first rod I would definitely recommend a 6wt. simply for the versatility it offers. I have caught bass, salmon, trout, grayling even cod and seabass on my 6wt.

Dont go crazy on your first rod/reel setup, the truth is u wont be able to tell the difference between a $100 and a $1000 rod . A quality outfit can be had for $200 , that leaves u plenty of money for flies, boxes, line, backing, leader and of course a nice pack to haul all that around in.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 AM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtroutak View Post
The best bang for your buck for the rod is going to be Temple Fork Outfitters :

Temple Fork Outfitters Fly Rods

Quality rods with lifetime warranties at decent prices ($100-150)
I have several TFO's and think they are great, but disagree. Allen Fly Fishing has a reel for sale for $70 (good drag, barstock) plus are coming out with a line of rods, and their fly lines are $14. Justin, any comment on the pricing for your fly rods?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I also suggest you shop around and look for a deal. For example -

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

There are very few, if any, "bad" rods being made by name manufactures today. You don't need a fancy reel for trout and bass.

I suggest you budget toward the $200.00 range. A set up in that price range will be very fishable.

Take another $100 and buy your significant other a new pair of shoes or go out someplace nice for dinner.

Pocket the last $200 and start planning for your next fly fishing purchase.

That spending combination will provide you optimal happiness.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-01-2010, 07:55 AM

Wahl.flies is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I visited my local shop (International Angler), I told them my story and they suggested these rods. Orvis Clearwater II, Sage Vantage, Echo Carbon, TFO (I don't recall the model) and R.L. Winston Ascent. The best part is they are ordering in all the fly rods in 6 wt so I can try them all.

They offer free line and casting lessons with the purchase of a rod/reel, the guy gave me about 20 mins worth of casting lessons before I purchased anything. I have to say just from those 20 mins I can tell a huge difference.

Nice to live close to a great shop.

Thanks again
Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Albright is having their annual Octoberfest sale starting today

AlbrightFlyFish.com