The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 PM

basher is on a distinguished road
Default orvis superfine trout bum 795-4 fly rod

wondering if this rod has any wind beating power in case i wanted to go on a bigger river than the small ones. any other info on this rod would be appreciated
Old 07-22-2008, 02:02 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: orvis superfine trout bum 795-4 fly rod

I have an older model. I've heard the newer ones are a bit faster. I would say yes to your question, as I'm able to get a fairly tight loop with mine. I think, however, the rod is a bit short for bigger rivers, but I try not to feel compelled to always have my equipment perfectly match the fishing situation.

I travel light.

Randy
Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: orvis superfine trout bum 795-4 fly rod

Totally Agree with randyflycaster in that I don't let waters dictate what rod to use. I have the newer older (in other words the Red Far and Fine) along with the older. They are full flex and that should be noted.
I also have the Trout Bum 7' 4 wt 4 piece, that I use just about anywhere.

But, they will be a work out on WIND and BIG FLIES. They are made more for Dry Fly action and maybe nymphs.
Not saying you can't, but it is more dificult.