The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 06:30 PM

hawkeye79 is on a distinguished road
Default breathable waders and condensation

I purchased some hodgman wadelite breathable waders a few years ago. I have noticed that if I am chilled, often my legs are damp below the waterline. It's not a leak, I am not soaked, and it involves both legs. I chalked it up to the breathable membrane and my legs getting cold so not being warm enough to push water vapor out through the membrane, but I recently got my wife some Simm's breathable waders, and she does not have it happen. Now I am thinking it's time for new waders. Should one's legs be totally dry with breathable waders?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: breathable waders and condensation

That's the difference between Gore-Tex and what everybody else uses. Get some Simms and the wet leg will go away.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It depends on what you're wearing under the waders. Cotton makes great towels cuz its very absorbent. But once its wet, it stays wet quite a while.

I'll agree that a pair of Simms will likely work better, but synthetics still need to be worn underneath for waders to breathe well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I can't push the Simms except I wore them at the Lodge and they fit great. They are awesome. But I don't own them.

One other thing beside what Cliff said about COTTON. Breathables need to be WASHED once in awhile. This opens up the air holes that get clogged with dirt.
Check the Hodgman website for cleaning.
Also, where the Neoprene bootie is, sweat is common.
If it dries quick, it is sweat.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 PM

Washing waders sounds kind of strange? Doesn't standing in a running stream keep them clean?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Even your Simm's have a little card that says to wash them once in awhile.
Wet Wader, rivers are not gin clear (all the time) get out of water and there is dirt in the air...
Don't realize it but try wearing WHITE pants sometime and see.
Plus SWEAT!

I know the ORVIS (including the Tailwaters ;-) Have a little card with the patch kit, that tells you how to wash them.

Simms sells a Rejuvinator.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:16 PM

True, but they have to cover everybody who buys the waders. Some never get in moving water. Let alone clean moving water. It would seem any dirt I pick up out of the water would be washed off when I get back in the water the next time.

Sort of mother natures washing machine.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Fine point about washing waders Joni. Those little pores the water vapor moves through can get clogged with dust and silt and this will keep the waders from working as well.

"Wet out" is another phenomenon that happens to waterproof breathable fabrics that keeps them from working as well. This is what happens when the water repellent treatment on the surface of the fabrics wears off after a while and the surface fabric itself absorbs the water. The fabric will still remain breathable, but its kind of like an airfilter that is dusty- it will still work, but not as well. The Revivex product Simms recommends rejevenates the water repellency of the garment, but the fabric needs to be very clean for the product to adhere to it well. (think of it like having a car's surface as clean as possible before re-painting it.)

I'll have to admit this is a classic case of do-as-i-say-not-as-i-do. I have yet to wash my waders and have a unused bottle of revivex waiting for use as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 PM

The only reason I brought it up is one time I had to borrow some waders from ArkAnglers. They use them for rental. I wore them for two days and then the waders I ordered came in. When I handed the waders back to them I praised them and told them how nice they were.

He said: "Not bad for 10 year old waders that we've never had to touch"

I know they never washed them. Being rentals, i'm sure they had the worse treatment.

I'm not saying I won't wash mine, I probably will, but i'm always in gin clear moving water. The only time it's dirty is during runoff, and I don't wade during that period.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 AM

Ol Man, We had rentals at Falcon's Ledge also, but after every trip, they were put on the back porch and hosed off. I am betting Ark Anglers does the same.
There are parasites that need attention, and any well respected fly shop would know this.
What happened to the Tailwaters?
Besides, we all know you don't go past your knees....(JOKING)