The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   TFO vs. St. Croix (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/5461-tfo-vs-st-croix.html)

CumberlandRiverTroutin 07-25-2008 07:17 PM

TFO vs. St. Croix

Ok, need a recommendation...

Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Series One Fly Rod 5wt 2pc

OR

St. Croix Triumph Fly Rod 5wt 4pc

Joe D 07-25-2008 07:55 PM

Re: TFO vs. St. Croix

St. Croix Triumph.

WANTONJ 07-25-2008 08:57 PM

St Croix,I just bought a TFO 10 wt I used one day and returned it,I dident like the action,no rod tube or hook keeper,for 275.00 you should at least get those items.

have a good and safe day.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire service,Valley Springs Calif.

CumberlandRiverTroutin 07-25-2008 09:19 PM

Well thats 2-0 for the St. Croix....making it a pretty easy decision for me aren't ya guys

tlcrep 07-26-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CumberlandRiverTroutin (Post 33402)

OR

I havent fished a st croix, but my understanding is St Croix's are made in the USA, do you want to support a company whose blanks are made in korea and rods are made in korea (TFO), or one who to my understanding you would be supporting American jobs? Now Rick Pope is a awesome guy and they have a awesome warranty, but....

tlcrep 07-26-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CumberlandRiverTroutin (Post 33402)

OR

Is the ST Croix really made in the USA tho? The tfo is only $89, I dont see how St Croix could compete if made in the USA

FlyRichardFly 07-28-2008 10:55 AM

the St. Croix Triumph is made in China. Every rod has a "made in China" sticker on the bottom.
Just pick the rod off the rack and see for yourself.

Silver Doc 07-28-2008 01:00 PM

bought one (same wt.) several years ago. It's ok, but not a rod I go to frequently. I usually use it on a small stream and when I need a short rod. It;s pretty nicely made and for that I have no complaints. My main rod here in Central PA. is one I had made for me by a local rod maker. It;s an 8' 6'' 5wt. I really like it. There are others I use, but this is the one that never leaves the trunk of the car. Silver Doc

axle27 07-29-2008 07:29 AM

Legend Elite, Legend Ultra, Legend Tournament, Legend Inshore, Avid, Premier, Tidemaster, Wild River - USA
Reign, Triumph, Premier Ice Rods - China
Legend Fly Reels - England
Avid Bait Casting Reels - Japan
Avid Spinning Reels & Premier Reels (Except Model 750) - Thailand
Premier Spinning Reel Model 750 - China
Premier Fly Reels - China

The Triumph is made in China. It comes with a 5 year warranty. If you could afford it, step up to the Avid. It comes with a Limited Lifetime warranty. However, the TFO comes with a Lifetime, "No Fault" warranty. The guys at St. Croix are excellent to work with and I have four (4) of their rods. Two (2) spinning outfits and two (2) Fly rods.

I was lucky enough to find a 8', 4wt Avid that was never used for $100.

RDRogers 07-29-2008 02:22 PM

I also recommend upgrading to the Avid. You will not regret it.