The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 AM

kayakangler is on a distinguished road
Default Sinking Line vs. Leadcore

Now that the heat of summer is here and the trout have all gone deep I've been toying with the idea of putting some leadcore line on an old fly rod and reel I have. I'd be using that for lake trolling only. Or would I be better off using a fast sinking fly line and dragging that behind the canoe?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sinking Line vs. Leadcore

I like either, the leadcore will get down faster and deeper than the fast sinker..fishing lakes i carry seval different weights on spools to cover all depths..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Question is, how hot is the ambient temp, how warm is the water, and how deep are the fish. It could be damaging to the fish- Not trying to change your mind, but.....
Old 08-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

As far as lead core sinking faster, there is a new RIO TYPE VII. Trust me, it sinks like a brick, but yet, still castable.
And of course my favorite...DEPTH CHARGE. You order by Grain and weight of rod. 250 to 300 on a 6 wt. It is real cool cause the first 30' is weighted and the next 70' is intermediate.
When stripping, it doesn't go up and down like density compensated or even wet cell, but rather pulls straight, like maybe a leech or a crayfish might.

I agree, if the water is too hot and shallow, undue stress will kill fish, but maybe catch and eat is the plan which is okay too.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 AM

kayakangler is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll be trolling in about 40-60 feet of water so they should not be stressed when caught, surface temps run in the low 70's. I had been summer trolling using a fairly light action rod with a baitcasting reel on it but wanted to try it using the fly rod as I enjoy the fly rods sensitivity much more. A few may be retained for the smoker.