The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Reel for a 4wt

Or an Okuma Helios....
Old 08-01-2008, 08:55 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

A large arbor for a 4w is not overkill. It all depends on the reel. Cheap inexpensive reels- yes, upper end reels -no. The weight difference is noticable as is the balance.
FWIW, whether or not you get a regular or large arbor, get a good reel.
A good reel with extra spools can outfit different weights of rods. I don't imagine your 4w will be the last rod you'll ever buy.
I have an LRH with 4 spools. 3w,4w, and two (different) 5w lines on them
I fish with cane and glass, and faster graphite rods in 3,4,5w mostly. I have over 20 reels from large arbor to regular in 3w to 8w, and I'd have to say the Hardy is my favorite (it's not so cheap thou) and next is my J.W. Young Condex from the '60's.
Just more fodder to kickaround from the higher end side of it.
(You can probably buy 8 Okuma's or Ross Headstarts for the price of one Hardy, or Abel and they'll probably do you justice, but the Hardy or Abel you'll pass on down the family line and fish it with pride- hopefully)
Old 08-02-2008, 02:41 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

I have a Flystart 1, and it is a decent reel.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

This is probably to cheap for you but I love mine on my 6wt bream rod. A crystal River. Get the #1. Cheap, extreamly light (made of composite material), no drag but does have clicker. But hey, like you said "it's just a place to store line." I paid around $10 bucks for mine on ebay and I bet it doesn't weigh anymore than my rod. Makes for a super light panfish rig.(and from some of the pictures I see of them trout those fellows up north catch it may be over kill.)

Nick
Old 08-09-2008, 03:28 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys, I didn't mean to kill the thread. Axel27 said he wanted a cheap real for panfish. I just told him my choice. I'm sure there are others.
Carry on, carry off, carry me back....