The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Fly Reel for a 4wt (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/5486-fly-reel-4wt.html)

axle27 07-31-2008 09:44 AM

Fly Reel for a 4wt

I just got an unused 4wt, 8-ft St. Croix Avid for panfish (or a decent backup to my 5wt Imperial). I'm looking for an inexpensive reel. I've been eyeballing these:

Bass Pro Hobbs Creek Large Arbor - 39.99

Martin Mountain Brooke Large Arbor - 27.50

I don't want to spend alot of money as I don't have alot of discretionary funds. My thought is that, for panfishing, it just holds the line. If I run into anything that will really give me a battle, I'll handle it the best way I can. As for a backup for the Imperial, in the areas where I fish for trout, the max is usually 5lb rainbows. Haven't hooked into the browns or brookies yet in this particular place.

axle27 07-31-2008 12:39 PM

Re: Fly Reel for a 4wt

I can't edit for some reason, but I was going to add that I was looking for some input on these reels.

Rip Tide 07-31-2008 12:54 PM

In my mind, a large arbor, disc drag reel for a 4wt is overkill.
A classic styled click-drag is the way to go.
My first choice would be a Scientific Angler System I
This is probably more than your looking for as they go for $60
Second choice would be the Martin Caddis Creek...$10
Your basic click-drag reel is no long in fashion, I guess, and there's not many new ones on the market.
Maybe you can find a good used one
There's plenty around

the1browntrout 07-31-2008 01:05 PM

Go with the Martin Mountain Brooke Large Arbor - $27.50. For that price, you get a good reel and you have some $ to spend on new line. But you could get a Ross Flystart Reel for $40.00, It is a large arbor reel also and a very good reel. A friend uses the Ross reels for his clinets on guide trips and they work great and last!

Jr

axle27 07-31-2008 01:27 PM

I have a Ross Flystart on my 5wt. Imperial. Although I haven't been to the river with it, it seems to work OK as I'm practicing casting in the backyard.

wtex50 07-31-2008 03:52 PM

I agree that a large arbor isoverkill on a 4 wt and probably would throw the balance of the outfit off...the mountain brooke is fine...in fact I have one that I use with my 4 wt Avid on occassion..It is a standard reel and balances really nicely with the Avid. I have DT4F on it. I most often use an Orvis BBS with RIO Selective Trout WF5F on my 4 wt. I will say that once you use the Avid for a while....your 5 wt Imperial will become your backup rod . The Avid is a delight to cast.

jimeng 07-31-2008 06:33 PM

I would also check Ebay, you might find a quality reel which someone used for a year or two with limited wear for a good price. This will allow you to get a better reel for less money.

rausch51 07-31-2008 07:10 PM

I have the Hobbs Creek on my 7wt and I have always felt that it was unusually heavy for its size. I wouldn't recommend it for your 4wt.

RDRogers 07-31-2008 08:17 PM

Can't go wrong with a Ross.

axle27 08-01-2008 07:24 AM

As with most of you, I continually look around for good deals. I just found a Pflueger Summit 1634 for about 48.00 shipped.