The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Fly Reel for a 4wt

I just got an unused 4wt, 8-ft St. Croix Avid for panfish (or a decent backup to my 5wt Imperial). I'm looking for an inexpensive reel. I've been eyeballing these:

Bass Pro Hobbs Creek Large Arbor - 39.99

Martin Mountain Brooke Large Arbor - 27.50

I don't want to spend alot of money as I don't have alot of discretionary funds. My thought is that, for panfishing, it just holds the line. If I run into anything that will really give me a battle, I'll handle it the best way I can. As for a backup for the Imperial, in the areas where I fish for trout, the max is usually 5lb rainbows. Haven't hooked into the browns or brookies yet in this particular place.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Reel for a 4wt

I can't edit for some reason, but I was going to add that I was looking for some input on these reels.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In my mind, a large arbor, disc drag reel for a 4wt is overkill.
A classic styled click-drag is the way to go.
My first choice would be a Scientific Angler System I
This is probably more than your looking for as they go for $60
Second choice would be the Martin Caddis Creek...$10
Your basic click-drag reel is no long in fashion, I guess, and there's not many new ones on the market.
Maybe you can find a good used one
There's plenty around
Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 PM

the1browntrout is on a distinguished road

Go with the Martin Mountain Brooke Large Arbor - $27.50. For that price, you get a good reel and you have some $ to spend on new line. But you could get a Ross Flystart Reel for $40.00, It is a large arbor reel also and a very good reel. A friend uses the Ross reels for his clinets on guide trips and they work great and last!

Jr
Old 07-31-2008, 01:27 PM

I have a Ross Flystart on my 5wt. Imperial. Although I haven't been to the river with it, it seems to work OK as I'm practicing casting in the backyard.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:52 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I agree that a large arbor isoverkill on a 4 wt and probably would throw the balance of the outfit off...the mountain brooke is fine...in fact I have one that I use with my 4 wt Avid on occassion..It is a standard reel and balances really nicely with the Avid. I have DT4F on it. I most often use an Orvis BBS with RIO Selective Trout WF5F on my 4 wt. I will say that once you use the Avid for a while....your 5 wt Imperial will become your backup rod . The Avid is a delight to cast.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 PM

jimeng is on a distinguished road

I would also check Ebay, you might find a quality reel which someone used for a year or two with limited wear for a good price. This will allow you to get a better reel for less money.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 PM

rausch51 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rausch51

I have the Hobbs Creek on my 7wt and I have always felt that it was unusually heavy for its size. I wouldn't recommend it for your 4wt.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:17 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

Can't go wrong with a Ross.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 AM

As with most of you, I continually look around for good deals. I just found a Pflueger Summit 1634 for about 48.00 shipped.