The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 AM

okiegsp is on a distinguished road
Default Wyoming

I am planning a Sage Grouse hunt in Wyoming for September but also would like to do some fly fishing as well. I do not know where we are staying but it may be around Casper or South of Casper so I had a couple of questions.

1. Will this be a good time to fly fish?

2. What are some good areas to wade?

3. Are there any areas Fly shops around Casper or further South that rent waders?

4. Can anyone tell me how the Sage Grouse population in this area is. PM's welcome

Thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wyoming

Yes the wx will be cooling down and the North Platte should be fishing well. There a few fly shops in Casper I don't know if they rent waders. Use the links below and just call and ask.
The shops have detailed maps showing the public access points along the river. When driving south from Casper on hwy 220 pay attention to the brown signs along the road, they will point out the public access points and there are plenty. When you are on the river the public access is marked with a small blue sign and the private access is marked with a small red sign. Remember, in WY the landowner owns the bottom of the river so you can't wade the river on private property and if you use a float boat you can't anchor on the private sections of the river. The fly shops offer shuttle services if you float the river. Remember this is tailwater fishing so fish appropriately.

I can't advise on the sage grouse populations but its all farm land so if you can get access I'm thinking it would be very good.

Fly Fishing North Platte River Grey Reef Guides Wyoming Fly Shop - GREY REEF ARTICLE
This site has a river report with flows, water temps and how the river is fishing so I would keep an eye on that.

North Platte River Fly Shop, Wyoming Fishing Guided Trout Trips

Ugly Bug Fly Shop - Wyoming Fly Fishing & Wing Shooting Guide Services - Home
They also offer wing shooting.

Wyoming Fly Fishing North Platte River Lodge grey reef alcova wyoming wy trophy trout
This site also offers wing shooting.

Larry
Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 PM

uhls1986 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wyoming

I hunt grouse around the green river area. Solid population and better fishing......... I love the blue bombers...