The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Potential problems

I am planning a Turkey Hunt/Fly Fish trip and I need to take a shorter rod with me to fish this creek that has some lovely Brown Trout. I have a 7 ft 6 3 wt but I do not have a 3 wt reel to put on it at this time because my 3 wt is on loan. What problems should I encounter using a 5 wt reel on a 3 wt rod.

Should I consider under lining the 5 wt reel?

I'm a little inexperienced in this situation .

Thanks in advance, Boser
Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Potential problems

What kind of reel would you be using?

Since your using a 7'6" rod, I would assume that your fishing smaller waters. I have an old 7wt reel that I have spooled with 3 wt line and I haven't had any issues. But I use it to fish smaller waters only (less than 10' wide) and it only serves to hold the line. If your going to be fighting fish on the reel, you might have some issues.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-01-2010, 11:33 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
What kind of reel would you be using?

Since your using a 7'6" rod, I would assume that your fishing smaller waters. I have an old 7wt reel that I have spooled with 3 wt line and I haven't had any issues. But I use it to fish smaller waters only (less than 10' wide) and it only serves to hold the line. If your going to be fighting fish on the reel, you might have some issues.
Ant, This is small water 10-20 ft wide with a pretty good current. Most of the fish I've caught were in the 15 inch range Brown Trout. So I guess it would be kind of a Hold your Line " type application. Oh and I would be using an ALLEN TROUT series

I really appreciate the feedback. I also appreciate the flies you tied for some of the swaps.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boser View Post
What problems should I encounter using a 5 wt reel on a 3 wt rod.
  • Balance will be off.
  • Line will load up the rod more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boser View Post
Should I consider under lining the 5 wt reel?
If this is a one time deal, stick with the five weight line. Modern graphite is highly resilient. Also the extra line mass will definitely let you know that your rod is loaded. Keep in mind that in creek situations, you don't aerialize a lot of line. A 15 to 20 foot cast is a long cast in that situation.

I have fished my 8'3" 3 weight with my 5 weight reel before. It was one of those early mornings in which I grabbed the wrong reel. The casting was odd due to the overload, but it didn't ruin my day.

MP
Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
  • Balance will be off.
  • Line will load up the rod more.

If this is a one time deal, stick with the five weight line. Modern graphite is highly resilient. Also the extra line mass will definitely let you know that your rod is loaded. Keep in mind that in creek situations, you don't aerialize a lot of line. A 15 to 20 foot cast is a long cast in that situation.

I have fished my 8'3" 3 weight with my 5 weight reel before. It was one of those early mornings in which I grabbed the wrong reel. The casting was odd due to the overload, but it didn't ruin my day.

MP
MP, Yep, hopefully a one time deal. I usually have a 3 wt but what you point out is exactly the info I was hoping to obtain.

Thanks a bunch, Boser
Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

No prob.

I'm glad you liked the flies. I really liked that Yum Yum Emerger that you tied. I'm glad that you included the recipe on that one, if not you would have been hearing from me.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-02-2010, 03:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A simple solution may be to just 'buy' an inexpensive reel like the Phlug. Medalist. $25-$30 bucks? That said, 'up-lining' by two won't hurt the rod a bit; the extra 'grains' given the short nature of the casting you'll be doing may actually be beneficial.