The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road
Default Fire Line for backing?

Greeting from a deep south newbe. Can anyone enlighten me about the type of backing to use on my fly reels? I have several spools of not too old Fire Line and Stren Super Braid in the 20 & 30 lb. range that I bought but didn't use on my level wind reels. Can I use this stuff for backing instead of going out and buying "backing"? Also is there a problem when tying this stuff to fly line? I seem to remember reading some where that it was bad to cut into fly line. All thougts appreciated.
Nick
Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 AM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Fire Line for backing?

Hi Big Nick welcome,I am very familiar with both those lines,all my spinning rods have Stren Super Braid on them with 10ft mono leaders,the problem I see is the 20# and 30# are thin and would cut into your fly-line and could peel the coating off,also being so thin it would take a lot of line to fill your spool used as backing,the regular Dacron backing used for fly-line backing is softer and thicker,as you know super line does not stretch and would most likely slip on your spool.I hope this will help.

have a good and safe day.

Wayne Valley Fire Service,Valley Springs Calif.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fire Line for backing?

If you catch strong or fast running fish, that thin backing will cut into your fingers and possibly wear grooves in your guides.
I've heard it compacts in the spool too well and can cause warpage or, if your spool is multipiece, separation of the spool.
Just my opinion but not really worth the risk to damage yourself and your gear. Backing really isn't all that expensive when compared to replacing lines or gear.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I agree with Wanton and Nick.

You're better off with dacron #20. Depending on your reel it'll probably take any where from 50-100 yds plus fly line if it's a freshwater one. Should be listed in the packaging or you can google the fly reel if you don't have the instructions for backing capacity. Don't over fill or you'll be jamming the fly line on the frame which can be a PITA.

Arbor knot for backing to reel, albright knot for backing to fly line. You can find good instructions for them at Animated Knots by Grog

peregrines
Old 08-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I agree that the 20 or 30 pound braid is too small. However, 50 and 65 pound Power Pro is used for saltwater backing. None of the super Braid lines will cut your guides. It will slip on the spool. You need to attach mono to the spool and wind on 20 feet and then add the braided backing, then the fly line. I have always been of the opinion that the mono should be 20 pound and tied on with an arbor knot. You want the knot to fail if you are lined by a big fish.

It is also true that the super Braids will cut you but the 50 and 65 pound sizes don't cut as easily. If you are playing a large fish and you get into your backing you don't have to touch the braid. You should be playing the fish from the reel. So I don't think braid cutting you is that big of a problem. Just be aware and careful.

Frank
Old 08-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I agree with Frank. I've been using 50 lb. super braids for several years with no problems, only advantages. But then again, it all depends on what you're fishing for. On a trout or freshwater bass reel I stick with the 20 lb Dacron.

The new Cortland Master Braid has some advantages for a super braid type backing. The color won't bleed out and stain your fly line, not that that was ever a really big deal, and it's stiffer and more resistant to tangle. The line also has some kind of coating on each individual fiber so the line doesn't hold water and comes back on the reel dry.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, you told me just what I needed to know. Good fishing to you all.
Nick
Old 08-09-2008, 05:54 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I bought a big spool of 30# Powerpro for backing and put that on a 10wt for saltwater use---it works good for playing the fish and you can get a lot of backing in a small space.

but in the case here we were drifting the boat and casting upwind and stripping a sinking line into the backing and then starting a fast strip retrieve ---the 30# was too small to hold and all i could think of was that if one of those amberjack takes my fly that id better get my hands out of there---even stripping line over my forefinger was unnerving

I am rethinking that and maybe ill put 50 more feet of amnesia behind my flyline so i have more line to hold onto and still be able to strip strike with the backing which would be disasterous with the 30# Powerpro
Old 08-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I think that 30lb Power Pro is too small in diameter for backing on a saltwater rod. On a 8wt or 9wt I would use 50lb. On a 10wt or more I would use 65lb. If I was going to buy a large spool of backing for saltwater fishing I would get 65lb.

Frank
Old 08-09-2008, 03:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

On most of my salty reel I add 25' of 25# mono on top of my regular backing.
This provides a little stretch behind the line.
Very important when you have a lot of line out and you have water imposed drag on the fly line.
I would think this would be especially important with gelspun

I agree with Frank... the 30# is too llight