The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 03:37 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road
Default 3M acquires Ross Reels

ST. PAUL, Minn. September 30, 2010 3M announced today that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Ross Reels, a Colorado-based manufacturer of fly fishing equipment and accessories. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

3M to Acquire Ross Reels
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 10-01-2010, 04:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3M acquires Ross Reels

I got the e-mail on that today. From what I understand is that 3M will let Ross do its thing. With the influx of money and the availability of 3M technology, we may see more cool stuff on down the road.

MP
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I got the e-mail on that today. From what I understand is that 3M will let Ross do its thing. With the influx of money and the availability of 3M technology, we may see more cool stuff on down the road.

MP
Dennis: Yes, it will be interesting to see what will be coming out of Ross Reels!

Larry
Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Scientific Anglers has addressed two issues I've had with lines immediately, and I like their lines. Having said that, I've never seen one company takeover
another without some real changes. Only a fool would invest in a company, and not move to protect and maximize its investment. 3M is a HUGE corporation, and will have little problem steering Ross's small staff in whatever direction they please. I would expect to see much more emphasis on the Ross Worldwide brand. 3M has more bean counters in the corner of a some basement than Ross has employees, and it won't be long before they try to use Ross to make a name for themselves, or their projects....

Last edited by FrankB2; 10-01-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked closely in partnership with one of the 3M divisions and I consider them to be an excellent company. The spirit of innovation is definitely alive in this company; despite it's size. Most of their divisions are run with a high degree of autonomy and if Ross ends up in the right division; which it more than likely will, then I think that there will probably be good things coming our way from 3M/Ross in the future. At this point, I'm not looking at this move by 3M as a threat to Ross' products, their quality or their reputation.

Having said that, time will tell. Maybe it's time to go out and get that new Rainbow reel

Pocono
Old 10-01-2010, 09:29 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I've worked closely in partnership with one of the 3M divisions and I consider them to be an excellent company. The spirit of innovation is definitely alive in this company; despite it's size.
Hi Allan,
I thought of you almost immediately after seeing the news on this forum (in a good way, of course ). The acquisition of Ross isn't sad news for me. I've spoken to Brandt via phone a couple times, saying that Ross should not neglect its USA made products. It's not surprising that Ross would look to partner with a larger corporation, and will likely enjoy financial success. They have every right to grow their company, but I've been looking for a better product anyway. Both of the Evolution LT reels I bought performed well, but the reel foot material was quickly chewed up by the same reel seat that couldn't leave a mark of any sort on the original Evolution. Less plastic on the LT, but easily marred metal on the foot. I returned both LT reels.....

P.S. I bought a couople of new SA GPX lines, and they both had sections along which the coating was thin, uneven, and nearly missing. I mailed them to 3M, and received an email a few days later, saying that they were mailing two new lines. I had another situation like this a couple of years ago, and 3M responded
very quickly then as well. Excellent customer service!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

i've been outta the loop for a long time....
does Dave Whitlock still work for 3M ?
just curious

buzz
Old 10-01-2010, 09:36 PM

3M is one of Whitlock's sponsors: Fly Fishing with Dave and Emily Whitlock in the Oklahoma Ozarks
Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

After seeing what 3M/SA did to Charlton Reels and JW Outfitters I'm concerned.
If Ross doesn't turn a huge profit marging rather quickly I'm quite certain the number crunchers at 3M will ditch Ross in no time and in doing so make sure Ross does not compete for a certain period of time.
That is the sad but true history that is 3M/SA buying good, vialable smaller companies.