The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation need vise

anybody have an old vise to sell, give away, donate to the cause,,
for my use ,,.... of course

i had a real nice vise a long time ago, actually Eric Lieser gave it to me.
someone decided they needed it more than i.
so long story short
i'm looking for a vise....
thanks for your help

oh, BTW, i gave my bobbins,thread,Metz necks,wood duck,ringneck,and all other stuff to my brother-in-law.

i'm starting out fresh and will use whatever i can find to tie a few flies

i don't know where to ask this question...
so mods move this if necessary

buzz
Old 10-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: need vise

Go to eBay and search Thompson Vise, there are a bunch of Thompson 'A' for sale cheeeeep.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Buzz: Ard gave you great advice, most of us old timers tied on the Thompson A Model for years. They are very basic but will do a great job and you can't beat the price.

Larry
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There are a couple still in the old red box on sale now. One has the old Thompson bobbin with it. I want to buy one every time I look at them on there just for old time sake. I still have the rare Thompson 360 which is a Model A rotary vise. I gave my original model A to my fishing buddy long ago.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 PM

trapper50cal is on a distinguished road

I also learned on a Model A...

Does the job
Old 10-02-2010, 12:15 AM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

LOL, i gave my Thompson "A" to a neighbor kid. for some reason i still have the table clamp and box but no vise.

anyway i'm good now
my old pal is sending me a Dyna King Kingfisher.
he has several HMH's, i don't know how many, plus rotary vises and...
every time a new vise was introduced he had to try it so he has more than he can use

i don't know what the Kingfisher looks like so i'll google it

thanks for the help
things are moving ahead.
all good
buzz
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM

Talking Re: need vise

got vise
Peak Rotary from J Stodard.
can't wait
things are happenin'
all good
buzz
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Good choice, you won't regret that choice!

Larry
Old 10-07-2010, 09:13 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
anybody have an old vise to sell, give away, donate to the cause,,
for my use ,,.... of course

i had a real nice vise a long time ago, actually Eric Lieser gave it to me.
someone decided they needed it more than i.
so long story short
i'm looking for a vise....
thanks for your help

oh, BTW, i gave my bobbins,thread,Metz necks,wood duck,ringneck,and all other stuff to my brother-in-law.

i'm starting out fresh and will use whatever i can find to tie a few flies

i don't know where to ask this question...
so mods move this if necessary

buzz
When I lived in Dunsmuir my 2nd bedroom was just for storage and fly tying. My dad helped me move, and I think he broke 100 tiemco hooks and about 50 flies getting them out of the carpet. With all the room, mess and time they take I have thousands of dollars (retail) in 6 walmart clear drawers plus in boxes.

If you send me a SASE and say $20, I can send you various tools, several different tiemco hooks (about 20 of each, 2457 in different sizes and 100 in different sizes), various other tying material, ewing mini pack, ewing wolly bugger pack.

If this sounds interesting I can go through my stuff and tell you exactly what I will send.

I just buy my flies now. THey are about 50 cents a fly, and if you are worried about quality I KNOW for a fact of several fly shops who buy from where I buy them. AND I have a Umpqua account, but dont use it because they are about $1 a fly (and up to $34.34 for 12 matuka sculpin)