The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 01:54 PM

rustydeej is on a distinguished road
Default Middle Fork Salmon R.

My youngest son just called from Idaho where he is meeting with his old college roommate who is being deployed next week to Afghanistan as an F-17 navigator. Anyway the question from my son was where might we best wade fish the Middle Fork of the Salmon near Stanley(1 day) and be away from the masses? My response was that I would post it and look for a quick response.

Thank you
Rusty
Old 08-16-2008, 09:47 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Middle Fork Salmon R.

Your best choice? Call McCall Aviation, McCall, ID. ~$700 (total) will get 1000# of gear and people (up to 5 people) into any of the US Forest Service or Idaho Department of Aeronautics strips situated on the shores of the MIddle Fork Salmon River with the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness, left there for as long as you want (day, week, whatever), and then retrieved again on your schedule. I believe you have the choice of McCall or Salmon as a jumping off point.

McCall Aviation: McCall Aviation | Air Charters Boise, Sun Valley, McCall Idaho

Idaho Department of Aeronautics (airport maps--find your dream location on the Middle Fork): Idaho Transportation Department
Old 08-17-2008, 03:27 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Middle Fork Salmon R.

Rusty,

Understand that the Middle Fork of the Salmon is a true wilderness river, flowing through roadless canyon. You can reach it by rough road (in the Idaho backcountry, there is no other kind) to Bear Creek, n.e. of Stanley, where float trips launch. You can also drive to the mouth, but that's about two hours away. From where it enters the main Salmon you can only look across the Salmon to its mouth on the other side.

Consider the East Fork of the Salmon, downstream from Stanley, reachable by ranch country road. I don't know about the present quality of the fishing, but it's not overrun by tourists. Actually, the main Salmon, as it flows by Stanley, and becomes creek-sized a few miles upstream, may suit your needs. Stanley Basin is authentic Wild West, also offering tributary creeks, drive-in subalpine lakes, and neck-wrenching scenery.