The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 PM

crockerag is on a distinguished road
Default 5 or 6wt

Currently I have a Sage VT2 8wt but am looking at getting a lighter rod for fishing in freshwater for bream and bass in Texas but also pull double duty with the rod in the lights at night. Don't know if I should get a 5wt or a 6wt or if there really is that big of a difference between the two.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:37 PM

hsmith1313 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5 or 6wt

I do a good bit of fishing for bass and bream on farm ponds. A couple of times I've tried using my 5 wt. and had trouble casting the larger poppers that I like to use for larger bass. It works great casting foam spiders and ants and most of the small poppers, but I only end up catching bream and really small bass on those smaller flies. My only success catching larger bass (3 to 5 lbs.) is with the larger flies that are either too heavy or wind resistant for the 5 wt. to cast effectively. Maybe a 6 wt. could handle these larger flies, I don't know.

I'm not sure if that helps you any, but I've taken the time to write this so I'll send it.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:29 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

I would go with the 6, then later on pick up a 4 for bluegill!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd get a 5, and then later get a 3 to have fun with the panfish and small trout. It'll throw peanut-sized poppers reasonably well and those are plenty big to catch good bass.

Hell, I throw them on my 4 all the time.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

crockerag,

Since you only have an 8, go with the 6. Later if you want something lighter you can go with a 4. Something heavier, 10.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I got a 4 wt. for panfish and my 5wt is for trout (stream). I'd have to say a 6wt. without knowing the type of flies you're gonna fling.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 AM

crockerag is on a distinguished road

Also, anythoughts on shorter rods? I fish out of a kayak a lot and want to use this rod on lakes around Dallas, in the Hill Country, and on the coast for schoolie speckled trout. There are no fly shops in my area currently (Louisiana) that have short rods to throw so I am unsure if I should take the short rod approach but I am interested in them. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

I have an 8.5', 6/7 wt which I sometimes use for bass and trout in streams, rivers, and lakes. I take it in the canoe and I've fished it in a kayak. It's long enough to mend across fast waters, and I find I can make delicate presentations to worry fish. It also throws big bugs pretty well. I have a bunch of rods now from 2 wt through 8 wt, but I really like the 6 wt range, a step up from a 5 and not an 8. It's a good wt rod to have when you might fish small water and big water in the same day. The only issue is that small trout aren't as much fun on it, b/c there's no real play, like with a 2 or 3 wt, but try to cast a big bug on one of those.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you plan to mostly fishing from your butt, I wouldn't go shorter than 8'6". Being seated brings the line down closer to the water, and a short rod adds to that still more.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Your line selections are greater with the 6wt. I would go with that.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.