The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default 4 wt rod

Hi everyone. I've decided to get a 9' 4 wt rod. I'm looking in the $300. range. Two or four piece doesn't matter. The rods I'm most interested in are the St Croix Avid and Legend Ultra, Sage Fli and a Gary Loomis (can't recall the model). I have an Avid 8 ftr, which I like pretty well. I hope to cast these rods if I can find them locally. Any input will be appreciated. BTW, a local shop has the Sage rod on sale for 25% off. That may help with the decision. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 wt rod

I think the FLi is going to be replaced by another model in 2009, so look around, you might get a better deal if you like the rod.

Can't comment on the choices tho as I haven't used them (but have an old sage SP 4wt that I like very much).

Good luck!

peregrines
Old 08-21-2008, 12:11 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I have the Avid in an 8' 4 wt and the Ultra in a 9' 5 wt. The Avid is great for small streams. I like a faster rod for big water though - I love my Ultra and would highly recommend it. I have cast the Fli and really liked it..so I don't think you can go wrong with it either and with 25% off it would be a great deal. I've never tried a Loomis..My suggestion is cast both the Ultra and Fli and see which one suits your casting the best.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi pdq 5oh,

I agree with wtex50. There is not a bad rod in your choices. How you are going to use the rod may have some influence on which rod you select. The Avid is the slowest action of the three and nearly a full flex rod. The Ultra and FLi are probable close in action. I have seen new fly fishers complain that the Ultra was too fast for them. I think both of these rods are in a sweet spot between slow and fast action rods. If I was fishing small streams I would chose an 8' 4wt or 3wt Avid. If I fished bigger water and different types of flies I would chose the 9' Ultra or Fli.

Frank
Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies.

Frank, I'm relatively new to fly fishing. I bought the 8' Avid for the slower action. It worked well for my casting abilities. I want the 9' rod for bigger streams. Some places I fish have current I have to cast across, into seams. I've found it easier to mend with the longer rod. Unfortunately the Fli rods are sold out. A shop I bought a couple of rods from ordered an Ultra for me to try. Pretty nice of them, IMO. Now I just need to find the Sage to try out. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:15 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

Another rod to throw into the mix: Scott A2. They are discounted now, to be replaced by a new model in 2009. To me, they have an action similar to the Sage Fli, have an excellent warranty, are made in Colorado and are very nicely finished for the price. I recently bought an 8' 4 weight for $199 (regular price $300) through an internet dealer. You would want to cast it first, if you can find a local dealer.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:06 PM

Doubletap is on a distinguished road

I fish Legend Ultras in 2, 3 and 5 weight. The two and three weights fill my dry line needs nicely. They are at the high end of the "medium-fast" scale, and the 2 wt really likes to be overlined with a light 3wt (a Clear Creek was my choice).
The 3 weight throws a #3 GPX line very nicely.

The 5wt is my go-to beach rod for Sea Run Cutties and Pink Salmon. It throws lines a mile and really likes a 6wt clear intermediate to reach those porpoising fish that seem just a touch beyond reach.
I really, really like my Ultras.

My 4wt is a Sage SLT. Another outstanding rod of a very medium action. Its great with an XPS floating line, but I've found my stroke doesn't cast it well with heavier intermediate and FS lines. I've found most of my dry fishing is done with the 2 and 3 weights, so I've been looking for a faster 4 weight to throw the sinking stuff.

I found a G Loomis Stream Dance Metolius HLS the other day, online for a pretty good price, and I'm looking forward to it's arrival.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the advice and replies. I got a rod yesterday. Actually two. I cast all the rods I wanted to look at, and ended up with a Sage Launch. I was surprised and delighted to find the least expensive rods were the best fit, for me. I got a 4 wt and decided to go ahead and get the Launch 8 wt for steelhead. Both rods were in line with what I expected to pay for one. When I cast the Sage, rods I didn't look to know which one I was casting until I decided which I liked better. Apparently my style of casting was best fit by the Launch rods. Now if the weather and water would just cool off. Thanks again to those who replied with sound advice.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi pdq 5oh,

Thanks for the feed back. You did everything right and made the best choice for you. What reels are you going to use?

Frank
Old 09-05-2008, 09:35 AM

Hi Frank, I picked up a used Teton Tioga 8 for the 8 wt rod. A local shop had a great deal on Ross Rhythm reels so, I got a #1 for the 4 wt. What a beautiful reel. Again, I do appreciate every-one's input................even though I didn't hit the dollar range I initially intended to. Sometimes less IS more.