The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: When wading in coldwater situations I prefer...
Neoprene Chest Waders 64 25.40%
Breathable Chest Waders 145 57.54%
Neoprene Pants Waders 1 0.40%
Breathable Pants Waders 14 5.56%
Neoprene Hip Waders 2 0.79%
Breathable Hip Waders 7 2.78%
Wet Wading with Wading Boot 7 2.78%
Wet Wading with Wading Sandal 6 2.38%
Other - Please post an explanation 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 03:29 PM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Waders Poll

Late reply..sorry..but I gotta put another plug in for Simms
Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM

tippet will become famous soon enough

Another late reply

breathable with proper clothing. Replaced my Cabelas with Wright McGills, love em.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I will wet wade with wading boots most of the time, but in the Spring and Fall my Simms(8yrs old) are usually on me, they are always in the gear bag just in case.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-03-2008, 09:10 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

The coldest temp i went fishing this winter was 7 degrees, and i was comfortable in my breathables. Although proper layering is needed.

Also since everyone is naming brands i got the orvis proguides brand new off ebay for just under 200, and love them, getting close to 60 days on them, no leaks. I even took a hook in the leg hard. But it hit the double layered area, and no leak!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
Also since everyone is naming brands i got the orvis proguides brand new off ebay for just under 200, and love them, getting close to 60 days on them, no leaks. I even took a hook in the leg hard. But it hit the double layered area, and no leak!

I sprouted a leak this last weekend

Hopefully i can get it patched effectivly, because i have lots of cold weather left this winter.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
I sprouted a leak this last weekend

Hopefully i can get it patched effectivly, because i have lots of cold weather left this winter.

The Pro Guide II (the tan colored ones) have a problem as I have said before.
They don't leak at the seam but the edge of the weld (about 1/4" from seam)
I guide and wear mine a lot, two years ago this started to happen so I sent them back. They sent me a new pair and the minute I got them I turned them wrong side out and brushed a thin layer of Aqua Seal down the leg seams and welds. They are showing no signs of wear yet.
About the warranty, If you want to send yours back, you might not want to mention you got them from e-bay. I am not saying to lie, but don't offer any additional info. as far as what I did, they prefer you try to fix them first so I don't think I voided any thing.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Dallas Trout Bum is on a distinguished road

Neoprene Chest Waders keep me warm in cold water on cold days.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 PM

Deadbolt401 is on a distinguished road

I have some Neoprene Chesters as well. Still have cold feet though, damn circulation!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 PM

Trout Madness is on a distinguished road

Terry, I prefer my LL Bean waist high Gore Tex waders for the same reason as A.K. Best. They keep me from wading into deep water. At my age that's good. In slippery conditions like the LMFR, the deeper you go the less stable you are.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Guess I was trying to figure out how 'cold' was coldwater. When I'm fishing with the snow flying as in December in Erie or February here in PA, I like the neoprene boot foot chest waders. They seem to provide the best warmth without needing too many cumbersome layers; but, when the air temp hits the 50's and the water temp stays in the upper 40's I'll usually switch to breathable stockingfoot chest waders. I fished a few times this January with the water temp in the mid to upper 30's (Yeah, the fish were darn sluggish). I stayed pretty comfortable in neoprenes whereas my brother was freezing in his breathable chest waders. Then again, maybe I'm just a hot-blooded Hungarian!