The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: When wading in coldwater situations I prefer...
Neoprene Chest Waders 64 25.40%
Breathable Chest Waders 145 57.54%
Neoprene Pants Waders 1 0.40%
Breathable Pants Waders 14 5.56%
Neoprene Hip Waders 2 0.79%
Breathable Hip Waders 7 2.78%
Wet Wading with Wading Boot 7 2.78%
Wet Wading with Wading Sandal 6 2.38%
Other - Please post an explanation 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waders Poll

I tested many neoprene and breathable waders...I've got a Simms g3 it's the best I've ever had ,I fish in all seasons but I must admit here in the south of France it's not very cold in winter so with fleece pants it's ok.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 PM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

For backpacking and knee deep wading, you should try Neos River Trekkers. If you're not familiar with them New England Overshoes are a rubber cleated sole sealed to a heavy 160 Denier nylon pack cloth hip. The neat thing is that you leave on your hiking boots and then strap securely and dry inside the overshoe. They were invented for hunting bogs and such, but they make a sturdy and dry hip boot. I can and have hiked all day in them. I use them for adequate protection as rain pants too. It's nice not to have to change out of your hiking boots and then have to do something with the boots or carry them all day. No drying out in camp. No wet wading boots to deal with. They have a shock cord top to kind of make them a little less baggy, but the extra space allows some air to circulate and the leg is a handy place to store a rain jacket. They are the bomb for hiking through thick scrub in Alaska, but I think they make great hippers in the lower 48 too.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 PM

clark is on a distinguished road

Breathables..no doubt.

I threw all of my Neo's away once I found the greatness of the breathable wader...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

I own a pair of Simms L2 waders and love them there great in both cold and warm weather,,, got to love gore tex!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:15 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Recently gave up on my old Cabelas Dry Plus wader pants. Purchased a pair of Orvis Silver Label waist highs. Only fished them a couple of times so far but I'm really liking them. I only use waders in the spring and fall the rest of the season I wet wade.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 07-26-2009, 03:04 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Breathables for me most of the time, Smallie fishing in the summer is wet wading time. For the cold winter steelhead fishing I use fleece in varying weights depending on the temperature; I also wear a boot one size larger then normal, helps the circulation.

Dan
Old 07-30-2009, 01:26 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default hip waders

i got some cheap pair of hip wader at walmart thinking that they would at least keep the water off me....wrong!! they have a very slow leak and after a day on the stream if ive been in water to about or above my knees my pants get wet....i guess next spring ill get a new pair
Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

blackfish is on a distinguished road

Very good survey

Last edited by blackfish; 08-02-2009 at 07:43 PM.