The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM

burns is on a distinguished road
Default It's hot! What to wear under waders?

Lucky me, the other day I had the chance to fish one of the only year-round trout streams in Maryland! The water was cold, the air was warm. What do you folks wear under your waders in warmer weather, maybe light sweat pants? I find jeans uncomfortable under waders.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:10 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: It's hot! What to wear under waders?

Personally...I wade wet when it's hot, but if I had to wear waders, I would just wear shorts under them. You'd be surprised how quickly you get used to the cold water when wading wet and it feels great on a hot day. I've waded wet a few times this summer on the tailwater section of the Jackson River here in VA, and that water is cold!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:19 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

what kind of waders do you have. I wear light mesh sport warm-ups under my breathables. In the winter I like to wear my neoprine on the really cold days. I wear sweat pants under those.

I've never waded wet. i should try it sometime.

John
Old 08-26-2008, 04:36 PM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Light weight long underwear under my street shorts. Prefrably the type that will wick sweat away and not absorb it.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:20 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Pampers, if they're chest waders, you're on the water all day and you brought a beer or so

More seriously, I second the recommendations for just shorts. That's what I wore last month on the San Juan/NM, which as a tailwater has constant 45 degree water. Got pleasantly cool under my lightweight breathables, but never cold. If I had, the next day I would have added my UnderWaderWear wicking breathables, which work remarkably well in conjunction with breathable waders.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

First off, I NEVER, EVER, EVER wear Levis under waders (just funning, but I don't)
I wet wade if hot, but I do wear the zip of pant legs in case the area is brushy. If nice hand smooth, then shorts with neo booties and my boots, Like that Gravel gaurd.
Little cooler days, I wear the zip off, or Orvis wading slacks, or Scrubs (not cotton). More cooler, I will wear Seacond Skin underwear with shorts or scrubs. Cold I wear second skin underwear with Orvis Fleece Bibs or Fleece pants plus a wool shirt jacket. Really cold, same on the bottom but I have a down filled shirt.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

I have Simms L2's, which breath nicely. I find shorts underneath a bit uncomfortable. I don't mind wet-wading but this particular stream (the Gunpowder in Maryland) can be very, very cold even when air temps are in the 80's.

Scrubs sound like a good idea.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns View Post
I have Simms L2's, which breath nicely. I find shorts underneath a bit uncomfortable. I don't mind wet-wading but this particular stream (the Gunpowder in Maryland) can be very, very cold even when air temps are in the 80's.

Scrubs sound like a good idea.

And CHEAP! I buy Talls for around $12. Plus great for layering on top and underneath.
My favorite ones are the ones with the CHILI PEPPERS....when your hot, your hot LOL
Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I wear a pair of pants made from some breathable material with "zip-off" legs. When I am finished fishing, I remove the legs and have shorts for driving home.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:59 PM

CumberlandRiverTroutin is on a distinguished road

I've wet waded in 45 degree water when the air temp was 95. I'm gonna say right now, that it does hurt and is quite uncomfortable for about an hour, but you will acclimate to the water. In instances where I wasn't feeling the cryogenic freezing of my friend to the south, I just opted for a pair of mesh basketball shorts under the waders. It'll keep you cool without numbing you.