The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:43 PM

skohiu is on a distinguished road
Default Spey in SoCal

Hello! I'm new to the forum. Great site. For background, originally from WA, but currently live in Los Angeles. Started fly fishing in July of this year and absolutely hooked. My friends were kind enough to start me with a 13' 7wt. Echo (skagit) and took me to the Skykomish River outside of Seattle......I love spey, but there doesn't seem to be any large water suitable for spey casting in SoCal, except maybe the beaches. Any suggestions?

I'm always looking to make new friends and explore new waters in the area.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:35 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spey in SoCal

I used a 15ft. 10 wt. in so.cal..a little large but worked..Your rod should work very well on the beaches..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-28-2008, 02:59 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

Isn't the Sacramento River the second largest river on the U.S. Pacific coast? My rule of thumb is that spey rods become practical where casting distances average at least fifty feet.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi skohiu,

Your friends must be from the Northwest where they have an abundance of good Spey waters. The closest good Trout fishing to you is the Kern River drainage NE of Bakersfield. There are spots below Lake Isabelle that you could Spey fish when the river is high. I think it is best fished with a standard Trout rod. So your best Spey choice close to you is saltwater.

If you must Spey fish for trout then Northern California has several rivers that could be fished with Spey tackle. If you want to fish Trout with standard tackle there are many places in the high Sierra's. If you consider Northern California then go on line and get a catalog from The Fly Shop. They have many guided and un-guided fishing packages listed in their catalog.

Frank