The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time to Kiss Your Sister in Pennsylvania...

LOL!!! It's Fall trout stocking here in Southeast PA. For those not familiar with Pennsylvania's generous trout stocking program, if it's not Summer, there
will be trout stocking (and an 11 month season!). I went to a local lake that's a bit of a joke around here, but it was stocked yesterday with some serious
trout. The local streams are being stocked this week as well, but the nearest is 30 miles. The pond/lake is about 5 miles, so off I went. The rain kept the crowds away, but the trout were leaping everywhere. There were about 10 fishermen all huddled in one corner of the lake, and they gave my fly rod a bit of a dubious glance. The shores are lined with trees, but I surprised these guys with some sweet roll casting. My cell phone camera stopped working after the first trout, but I was able to get a pic of that 16" fish:
Click the image to open in full size.

The idea of fishing for stocked trout on a crummy little lake doesn't excite me, but actually doing it is fun. The fish hold very close to the bank at this lake, and the above fish was caught while inching a Green Weenie parallel to the bank, about 10 feet out (tops). While I've never kissed either of my sisters, I suppose this is what it would be like.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Time to Kiss Your Sister in Pennsylvania...

Frank,

When it comes to fishing, where you are is where you are. Nice trout buddy,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Aw, come on Frank! Your parents were the same generation as mine, and I know you were FORCED to kiss your sisters at least on their birthdays and maybe even Christmas. That's the trick they all used to get us to remember each others birthdays!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

The Great White Fleet!!!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: Nice going, congrats!

Larry
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys (and Joni ),
Thanks for the kind words. I did fish the Little Lehigh a couple weeks ago with my wife, and there were native/holdover trout there. I've mentioned here
before that I never fished for stocked trout until 2007, and wasn't entirely convinced about the thrill factor even then. Fishing stocked trout on ff'ing only streams helps, and landing a big one is always nice. The best stocked trout I've fished were caught in the Neshaminy Creek this past Spring. When May rolled around, the trout seemed to stop biting. There had been a few days in April when the temperature reached well into the 90's, and we had very little rain. 10 days into May, the temperature dropped into the upper 50's, and we had a several days of rain showers. The stocked trout not only began to bit again, they began taking dry flies as if they'd been doing it all of their lives. During the week that followed this rejuvenation, I was able to imagine the many trout I caught as being native. It was so much fun, I wrote a lengthy thread about it not long afterward.

The trout on Levittown Lake wouldn't take any of the little BWO's I offered today, but they did slash at the Power Bait floating around the lake. If I ignored the passing green junks of dough, I could imagine that the trout were rising to a midge hatch.......
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
The trout on Levittown Lake wouldn't take any of the little BWO's I offered today, but they did slash at the Power Bait floating around the lake. If I ignored the passing green junks of dough, I could imagine that the trout were rising to a midge hatch.......
You should have "matched the hatch" and went with a green weenie.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-16-2010, 06:00 PM

tollster is on a distinguished road

I can think of many things to call the Pennsylvania stocking program, but generous never ever crossed my mind!