The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 11:42 AM

stobey is on a distinguished road
Default What hits the water first?

I was taught that my line should land on the water and then unfurl with the leader and fly unfurling softly onto the water last. I have learned how to do this and it sure looks nice and I am catching fish, but I just read that the fly should be the first thing to land on the water!

I am new at this and am a bit confused. I use mostly wet flys and streamers.

Thanks

Steve
Old 08-31-2008, 01:22 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What hits the water first?

It's more important with dry flies to have a soft presentation. Not as important with wet flies, and a lot of times if you slap a streamer on the water you get better results.

For myself, the dry fly lands last.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 PM

Bob Lang will become famous soon enoughBob Lang will become famous soon enough

Regardless of what I use, dry fly, nymph, bass bug, etc, the fly lands last. I'd hate to think what I'd need to do to get the fly to land first. I guess I could lower it over a bridge and get the fly to hit water first that way.

Kamin's Third Law - Combined total taxation from all levels of Government will always increase until the Government is replaced by war or revolution.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Slap them Hoppers on the water also.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 08-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Most times, I'd want the fly to land last too, for a more delicate presentation, and a better connection to the fly.

But you can use a "tuck cast" to make the fly hit the water first. Basically, it's a forward cast where you let line shoot thru your left hand, grip it and pull back and up a bit with your rod hand before the fly line hits the water. This forces the fly to boomerang back and land first with a bit of slack in the leader between the fly and fly line.

It's good to use if you want to splat something like a hopper or large stonefly dry on the water, if you're fishing with a weighted nymph or weighted streamer and you want to get it down quickly in fast water, or you]re fishing a dry in fast pocket water on a short line to get a few nanoseconds more of a drag free drift before the fly line hits and gets caught in current.

It's good to know how to do, but it's one of those "special situation" kind of things that I don't use very often, though maybe others do. Just curious, but do any of those scenarios fit in with the article?

peregrines

peregrines