The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM

CTR0022 is on a distinguished road
Default booking agents/yellow dog adventures/cabelas

Hey guys,
me and my dad are looking at going to Alaska in 09 or 10. I have been looking on the Internet and trying to gather some information. Right now just trying to find some reputable outfitters before i start calling people and getting specifics. I have thought about using a booking service like Cabela's or Yellow Dog Adventures to help me out with the planning of this trip, but have never used them and have never really heard anything good or bad about them. Do any of yall have any opinions on these booking services or any other outfitter in Alaska.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: booking agents/yellow dog adventures/cabelas

Hi CTR0022,

Man, going to Alaska, I can't stand it.

There are lots of lodges so I need a little more information. Your budget is a must. Your target fish has a lot to do with your selection. You need to target the one fish you want most to catch. If your dad or you have physical limitations that will also influence your choice.

When planning your trip you have to factor in the other expenses that some people over look. I am assuming you want a full service lodge. Do you want to have fly out ability. If so that raises the prices quite a bit. You will need a hotel room for the day you arrive in Alaska and the day you return from the lodge. Depending on your travel connections you might need an extra day. You usually have to pay for your flight to and from Anchorage or King Salmon to Illiama. The lodge will pick you up at the drop off point and fly you to the lodge. The lodge usually pays for the flight to and from the lodge. You will have transportation cost in Anchorage and your food and drink. Some lodges provide booze but others don't.

There are different types of lodges. A lodge that may be on a lake or operate from a land base location. These lodges bank on flying to the fish. This has a big advantage because you are always fishing where the fish are located. It also has one big disadvantage. They can't fly in bad weather.

Then there are lodges that are located on one of the major rivers that you can fish from jet boats and fly out. Other lodges offer remote tent camps and you get around with jet boats only. Then there are fly outs that drop you on a river and provide a boat and you are on your on. This can be hit or miss. You may be on the river ahead or behind the Salmon run and the fishing is not the best. There is also trips where you are flown to a lake and you float the outlet river fishing as you go. There are usually two people to a boat and the guide rows. They have pre-selected camps and you will get good food and have a dry bed at night. These trips have the problem that you may hit a spot with lots of fish but you have to keep moving to reach the take out point on the designated day. So you may pass the good fishing and unless more fish come up river you are out of luck.

I am sure I can help you pick a package that is right for you and your dad. I just need more information on what you are interested in and what you can afford.

There is no place like Alaska but you have to be at the right place at the right time.

I remember my first weekend when I lived in Anchorage. My wife and I drove south of town and spotted this great river rolling along. I thought what a great spot and stopped to fish. Nothing. As I was walking back to the car I noticed that three other cars had stopped where I had parked and were fishing where I just came from. I talked to Fish and Game the next week and found out there were no fish in that water until the fall. I was there in May. The F&G guy and I had a good laugh about the other fools that stopped just because somebody was fishing there.

Frank
Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

I have no personal experience, but during the past two summers the local fly shop has organized a group trip to this lodge. The shop owner went both times, raves about the experience, and plans to return next year. I saw photos--the raves were well earned.

Alagnak Lodge, Rates
Old 09-28-2008, 12:15 AM

gordon is on a distinguished road

Have you ever thought about Canada? I know some good outfitters in the NWT
Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Green Point Outfitters is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
Are you looking for a new destination for Atlantic Salmon Fishing. I have good news. I am offering great fishing at my oufitter camps during the months of June July and August. My camp is set up on the St. Paul's River on the Lower North Shore of Quebec, canada. Lots of Atlantic salmon and great fun. Let me know if you are interested in booking.
Jim
Old 02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

CTR0022

Here is a fairly low cost way to fish AK. I have fished with these folks 3-4 times while I lived in AK (Chihuly's Charters, Mark and Mike Chihuly). They are good people who will treat you like family. You didn't mention what species you want to target, but this outfit does charters for King Salmon and Halibut on the same trip. They launch the boats out of Deep Creek and then cruise up and down the beach for Kings and then when the tide changes, they motor out into Cook Inlet and fish for halibut. On the return they clean and package your fish and they have a tourist shop right on the hwy with a walk-in freezer. In the past they would freeze your fish and at the end of your vacation you could pick the fish up at no extra charge, but that was 10 years ago so things may be different now. They also have cabins right there in Ninilchik at very reasonable prices. Basically, all you would need is to fly into Anchorage, rent a car and drive south to Ninilchik. Now if you want to fish the Kenai for red salmon in May/June, PM me and I will give you locations to bank fish and how to rig your fishing rod.

Chihuly's Charters

Larry
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Never been to AK, but I'd rather use Kauffman's Kaufmanns' Streamborn, Inc. | Alaska or The Fly Shop The Fly Shop Travel Department/Alaska than Cabela's. I've heard good things about Yellow Dog though.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.