The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Mouse Fly pattern ???

Simple question for any of you that may have tried tying a Mouse Fly, or are an expert at tying them.

I tied a Mouse Fly the other day & tried it this past Saturday while fishing for Smallmouth. I had grabbed a larger Bass hook I found at my tying bench & proceeded to stack & pack lots of deer hair. ( I tied it with the hookpoint facing upward just in case I fished a area sometime with lily pads.) After the fly was completed I trimmed up the bottom with a razor, added some eyes & it didn't look too bad.

My question is : After fishing it for a while I noticed that the fly no longer sat upright on the water. At first, it sat perfectly with the hook upward, but later it sat on it's side. I did try some dry fly floatant, but that did not seem to help. I did hook a nice smallie with the fly even though it sat sideways in the water. He did not seem to care. He hit it the first time & missed so I moved the fly just a bit & then he proceeded to pounce on it like a tank. Any thoughts besides the fly was probably water soaked ???

Oh, I did mimic my fly after one I saw in a recent article in a flyfishing magazine. If you have a pattern that stays upright I be interested in seeing what you may have, if you'll share.

Tie One On----------------------<*))))))))><
Old 09-04-2008, 12:54 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mouse Fly pattern ???

After you shave the bottom make sure the fly is perfectly flat where it will be in contact with the water. I think adding some zap a gap to eat holds the deer hair together a little better. After a fish or two deer hair gets mangled. Also pay close attention to stacking it evenly on each side of the hook. It wouldn't take much for it to ride a little sideways. Not sure if it would change your pattern to much but a wider base (in contact with the water) should be more stable.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mouse Fly pattern ???

Foam!

Click the image to open in full size.

I tie this with deer hair but mostly with Muskrat hair (natural water resistant, unlike rabbit)