The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Sink tip line on rivers?

Anybody use a sink tip on rivers with streamers? I used one on my last outing and found it worked pretty well. It got the bugger down quick. I fished these up/down and across to the bank and let it swing out to the middle current. Got fish both up and down river.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM

wyflyfish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sink tip line on rivers?

I often use one from a drift boat early in the year when fish seem to be in the middle of the runs. As the stack on banks, I usually just try to use weighted streamers for quicker pickup, and drop behind the next rock....
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yat: Yes I use sink tips with streamers and a short 6ft stout leader.

Larry
Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Yat,

All the time, they are so much better than plunking weights. I use a SA 15' type 6 that goes down like a stone.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Thanks guys,
This was the first time I did it. I got an SA air cell supreme2 wet tip with 10' tip and a 4ips sink rate for $25. I like the way it casts and loads the rod nicely in the water when you go to make your next cast.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Yat

Last season I used a sink tip for my streamer fishing and was very happy with it. This season I switched to a full sink Class 5 line and like it even better. Really gets the fly down without weighting it.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Yat, on slightly slower/slack water I switch to weighted leaders/fly on a floating line.
When I switch to sink tip in heavier/deeper water, I still use the sinking leader to facilitate
decent, and fish an unweighted fly. I sorta think the movement is better.
Browns here love streamers. And I love browns! The bigger the better!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

For trout streamers, I have a go-to set up:

Teeny Mini-tip WF5F
Flouro furled leader
Vanish 6lb tippet

This is specifically for a middle sized river, nothing huge.

Be using it again next weekend....
Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 AM

wyflyfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Yat

Last season I used a sink tip for my streamer fishing and was very happy with it. This season I switched to a full sink Class 5 line and like it even better. Really gets the fly down without weighting it.
I have a full sink too. I like it for getting bugs down, but it is tough to mend, and you have to strip all the way in to recast. Mine also seems to tangle and knot around itself easily. I have my 5wt with a sink tip and seven weight with the full sink now...... I love the full sink for lakes.