The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Reviveourhomes is on a distinguished road
Default Lets talk Furled Leaders

I have wanted to try these for a while now and I finally have a couple headed my way.

Now, I have seen that you can get them made from Uni-thread, Mono, and also a mix of mono and uni-thread...oh and then Flourocarbon.

Which do you guys use and why?? Pros/cons of each. And also do you use different ones for different fishing techniques??
Old 09-05-2008, 04:16 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lets talk Furled Leaders

Making your own leaders is very easy. Use a soft monoline an twist it hard.
Double it and the mono make a very nice leader. The cost for the leader is a fraction of what you have to buy in the shops.

Last edited by tob1; 08-07-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I don't know if she actually markets them or not, but Joni makes a great furled leader. I received a few from her during the fly swaps and have been using them all summer. They're furled 'thread' and uni-thread leaders. Just add tippet. I've fished them with wet flies, dry flies and nymphs. I like to keep one greased with floatant that I use specifically for dries. Otherwise, I use them as is. They're different lengths but I've found I like the 5 1/2' to 6' length. I add tippet to get the desired length. I'll add two sections of tippet (ie. 20 inches of 4x then 18 inches of 5x) if I want to include some kind of dropper setup.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to Reviveourhomes,

I think Greenwood makes a good point about Furled leaders. They last a long time. So the initial cost is high but the overall cost may be less than standard leaders. I don't know this for a fact but I would guess that a furled leader doesn't get a wind knot quite as easy as a standard leader. It may have to do with how long of a tippet you are using.

I would PM Joni and ask her if she will sell you some. You can also buy them from Feather-Craft.

Frank
Old 09-10-2008, 04:08 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Frank, I have three leaders and have not had a wind knot in any of them. I have in the tippet because I am a crappy caster, but these leaders turn over amazing. They turn over a small number 10 streamer with the delicacy of a dry fly on 7x. I was impressed!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

My favorite ones are the Feathercraft furled leaders. They turn over very well, and have a tiny little ring on the end that makes attaching and removing tippet very easy.

Cost of furled leaders reallys should not be an issue. They last a long long time.