The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Dusty Wissmath

This might be a dumb question, but has anyone heard of this guy?

He's giving a free casting class at a local fly shop next month.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dusty Wissmath

Axel-

I would jump on it. No, I'd never heard of him before you brought up his name, but it sounds like the guy's got some chops as a fisherman, guide, and casting instructor (certifications from FFF and Joan Wulff's school) The bios of the folks at his school seem very strong as well:

Dusty Wissmath's Fly Fishing School

He may not be on the A list of fly fishing celebrities (and may be a better person for it based on some that I have met), but it sounds like he has a lot to offer and chances are you'd be able to pick up a lot regardless of your skill level. The fact that he also seems to have a lot of experience teaching casting in well respected programs (lead instructor for LL Bean's VA school, instructor at Joan Wulff's school) is also a BIG plus-- they're a lot of folks that are good casters but poor teachers. Having experience actually teaching casting as opposed to "just" mad skillz and a hot rod is a big difference.

It sounds like a great opportunity.

peregrines
Old 09-06-2008, 01:59 PM

onemorecast is on a distinguished road

I met him at the Somerset show two years ago and my boyfriend and I considered taking classes from him. In the end, I decided to learn on my own (my boyfriend lost interest and put down the rod after one day) but he seemed like a good instructor. He did a few casting demonstrations and his explanations were very straight forward. I wouldn't have hesitated to take the two-day class they were offering at the time (Savage River) if the boyfriend had stuck with it.

YouTube - Dusty Wissmath's Fly Fishing School - Casting Tip - Grip
Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I took this class last night. I felt a bit out of place as this was really a beginners class. All of the people there had never fly fished before so it was a "ground up" start. One lady had never fished before much less fly fished. Which I think is great. She had no bad habits to unlearn. Strangely, she showed up with a $600 Orvis rod. Don't know what type, tho.

Like onemorecast said, he gave a quick overview of the grip, the mechanics behind casting (both bodily and the rod) and did some short demonstrations. He started everyone on the Roll cast and turned to the standard cast. After this, he had everyone move to an open spot (we were casting in a park with soccer fields. There were teams there practicing, but there was alot of room) and begin casting. He would move from person to person giving tips.

I moved a bit away from everyone because I felt really out of place. I know how alien it felt the first time I started to cast so I didn't want anyone to think I showing off or anything. I chose a spot, then found a divot in the grass that was about the size of dinner plate. I guessed a distance of about 30 ft and started casting to that spot.

He finally got around to me and said that my loops looked fine, although I had a bit of a tailing loop sometimes. He gave me a few tips, but said I was doing fine. After watching me a for a moment, he said, "You've had a class before, right?" I looked kinda sheepish and said, "Yeah." He just smiled and said to keep it up.

I got to hitting my target consistantly with my 4 wt so I moved back about 5 or 6 more feet and let out more line. Once I could get it in the area (within a foot of the divot), I moved back a bit more and started again.

He helped with my roll cast a bit as I still have a bit of trouble with that. When we were leaving, he (and the local fly shop owner who was hosting the school) said I should come back for a more advanced class. I want to learn the double haul.

I didn't know what to expect, but I got some good practice in.

He's definately a good instructor. He teaches the instructors at Joan Wulff's school. Anyone who gets a chance should take his course.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM

onemorecast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I took this class last night. I felt a bit out of place as this was really a beginners class. All of the people there had never fly fished before so it was a "ground up" start.

He helped with my roll cast a bit as I still have a bit of trouble with that. When we were leaving, he (and the local fly shop owner who was hosting the school) said I should come back for a more advanced class. I want to learn the double haul.
I had the exact same scenario happen to me at the Fly Fishing show. I signed up for a class and found myself in a group of people who hadn't fished before. When the instructor got around to me, I confessed that I hadn't known what to expect when I signed up and that I really just wanted to learn to double haul. The instructor gladly spent a few minutes with me, demonstrating and helping me pick up the motions and rhythm of it. You should have spoken up. Don't be shy next time!

On the other hand, I can count on the fingers of one mitten how many times I've had to DH in a real life fishing situation since then. It's mostly just for fun in the backyard.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecast View Post
Don't be shy next time!

On the other hand, I can count on the fingers of one mitten how many times I've had to DH in a real life fishing situation since then. It's mostly just for fun in the backyard.
OH, I'm not shy, by any means. We met in a local fly shop and it was not explained what we would be covering until we got to the local park. I decided not to say anything because it got me some good practice time (haven't really practiced in a month or so) and he might give me a few pointers to boot. I usually practice in the back yard, but the fences on each side seem to get away if I move from 35 to 40 ft. Gets a little hairy...

I don't really think I'd use a double haul as I mostly fish ponds and small streams, but my goal is to do some bone fishing. Kinda need to know it and know it well from what I gather. It's all about distance and accuracy.