The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 04:25 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough
Default Rod Question

Now that I am hooked and commited to fly rodding I am looking to get a couple of new set ups. I currently have a cheapo 6wt for bass and pond fishing and a spin/fly 5wt rod for trout. I am looking at getting 2 new set ups, either a 4wt and a newer 6wt, or a 5wt and a 6wt. I have been told if I get a rod to go 2 weights higher with the next one. I like the 5wt for trout and worry about casting a 4wt in wind. I definately like the 6wt for bass so my quandry is either selecting a 4wt or 5wt. Any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:23 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod Question

If you like the 6, I would step down to a 4. I love my 4 weight.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Tough question. What kind of water do you fish for trout and bass? What size range of flies are you throwing? What else do you plan to fish for now, soon and down the road? How many rods do you see adding to your arsenal eventually?

Skipping weights helps to cover more bases if you fish for a lot of different things, and if you want to throw different size flies, and cover a lot of different conditions/destinations. A one weight difference, is more of a finesse thing, with just a slight difference in capabilities. If at some point you ended up with a 4,6,8,10 or 3,5,7,9 you'd be pretty covered from panfish, trout, bass steelhead, pike, and inshore saltwater (with the 4,6,8,10 probably a tad more versatile covering a wider range of FW and SW fishing situations IMHO.)

Bottom line, I'd probably do a 4 and 6 if there was a lot of different rods and fishing situations in your future to chase panfish trout and bass now, and add an 8 and 10 down the road. But if you were just going to concentrate on trout panfish and bass, I'd go with a 5 and 7 now (and be covered for large western trout rivers, inland wipers/stripers and steelhead with a 7) and maybe add a 9 for occasional salt on vacations etc at some point.

peregrines
Old 09-07-2008, 12:51 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

I'd definately look into the Sage Fli series of rods. Rumor has it Sage has discontinued it for a newer model. 4 piece rods that were going for 300 plus can now be had for sub-200 if you look. 2 piece a lot cheaper than that. Cheaper than the "Launch" entry level rods they currently offer. It might be nice to ease into a 4 wt. A nice "trout" weight, IMHO. Of course, a person can never have too many rods LOL! Speaking of which, I probably need to look into covering the bases between my 5 and 10 wts!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:33 AM

I live in Iowa and will mostly stick with trout, bass, and panfish. For what I need it is basicly two rods, one for trout and one for bass. Bass wise I will mainly be fishing ponds and a occasional river for smallies.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Teamanglerx, like yourself, I'm pretty new to fly fishing. As a spin fisherman I always liked lightweight tackle. I've covered myself with 4, 6 and 8 wt rods. I cast quite a few before buying. I ended up with 4 and 8 wt Sage Launch rods. I tried more expensive rods but, found the Launch rods better fit my casting style. The 4 wt works great on pan fish and small bass. I've also caught some smallies and trout in streams. The 6 wt is fun for the same fish but will handle bigger, heavier flies. I find the 4 wt doesn't cast big streamers and poppers as well. That would be a consideration when deciding. What flies are you throwing as much as what fish are you targeting. For 6 wt I got a St Croix Avid. Again, this worked better for me than more expensive, faster rods. So in a way, I was lucky enough to find relatively inexpensive rods that worked well for me. All my rods are 9' with an 8' 4 wt Avid for small streams. If I had to restrict myself to one rod, I'd have a 9' 6 wt.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Doubletap is on a distinguished road

Dude - you're going to end up with one in each weight eventually - might as well start now!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:23 PM

Fly wise I think the largest I have for trout is a size #8 Mickey Finn Streamer. That would be my only concern for fly size. Everything else is a 14-16 size (although I might get some #6 beahhead wooly buggers next year). Could a 4wt handle these?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:47 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Funny you should ask. Last night I was fishing with my 4 wt and a #6 bh wb. It didn't cast badly the 1st time. After it got wet I noticed a difference. My 6 wt would have worked better. Then most likely someone that casts better wouldn't have a problem.