The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Reviveourhomes is on a distinguished road
Default Your Favorite line??

Ok guys whats your favorite Weight forward floating 4-5wt line and why?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Jimmy T is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your Favorite line??

My newest favorite line is the Scientific Anglers "Sharkskin" 5wt fd. This line shoots like no other. It simply flys where you point it. Only bad news is prior to my Sharkskin purchase I used up all my Cabela's points for Rio brand which is now back inside the box. ... Sharkskin is not cheap though! Yikes!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:31 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
Ok guys whats your favorite Weight forward floating 4-5wt line and why?
Rio Windcutter, Rio Gold and Rio Selective Trout II. Favorite DT line is Selective Trout II. Each has it's purpose.
Why? Because they float. And float. And float. And they shoot great.
Haven't tried SA's Sharkskin, but people like it too. Because it floats and makes noise like buzz saw.
And shoots.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM

mtnman2888 is on a distinguished road

I'll second the sharkskin. I have mine set up with a helios 9' 4wt. with a nautilus fw+ reel and it is sweet. I don't know if it's really worth the money, but it's the best line i've ever cast hands down.

www.backpackingangler.com
Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Rio Grand on my fast graphites, Rio Selective Trout II on my Bamboo and slow graphite - because like Mojo said - they float. I just bought my first Wulff TT - I tried it on a recent trip to Colorado and have to say it roll casts easier than any line I have fished and casts like a dream. I didn't notice the tip sinking like Mojo mentioned...maybe because it was new.... I'll have to monitor that and see. The bottom line is - pay the extra money and buy a quality line - it will make your casting so much easier. I've tried them all and I have to say....it is hard to beat Rio
Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Hook&Hackle private label line.
Reportedly the same as a 444 peach only in an olive color
They're very supple, a good floater, and fairly cheap... less than $35

In warm water and the salt I use the $10 Northern Sport factory seconds.
I've bought and used maybe 10 of these lines and there was only one in the bunch that I didn't care for.
A good value for lines that are going to get beat on.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:05 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Ok, I have to ask about the Sharkskin lines, do you really need to cast 80 feet? Can't you work on getting closer and make a better drift? I have never cast beyond 60 feet because I did not need to, so if you need to, go ahead, but I cannot hook fish beyond 50-60 feet anyway.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:50 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

After trying a few different lines from Rio, SA, and Cortland, I'm still a
Cortland 444 fan: floats longer than other lines I've tried, and has almost
zero memory.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:22 AM

mtnman2888 is on a distinguished road

It has it's advantages beyond making long casts and agreed, i don't think i've ever casted that far except in the yard.

The main thing that i have found is that it makes casting effortless since it shoots so well. Like i said earlier, i can't say that it's worth the money, but it's definitely a good line.

I can also roll cast much better as well. In those instances where you must roll cast a decent distance, it allows me to not "force" the cast so i don't end up with a cast that hits the water hard.

I'm still a fan of the scientific angler's mastery series myself and use it on my small stream reels, but there's no doubt sharkskin is a better line, especially for large stream, tailwater, and saltwater applications.

www.backpackingangler.com
Old 09-11-2008, 08:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
Rio Grand on my fast graphites, Rio Selective Trout II on my Bamboo and slow graphite - because like Mojo said - they float. I just bought my first Wulff TT - I tried it on a recent trip to Colorado and have to say it roll casts easier than any line I have fished and casts like a dream. I didn't notice the tip sinking like Mojo mentioned...maybe because it was new.... I'll have to monitor that and see. The bottom line is - pay the extra money and buy a quality line - it will make your casting so much easier. I've tried them all and I have to say....it is hard to beat Rio
Wulff line has been getting better each year. It does roll cast fantastic, and you can cut off the tip, a few inches at a time to taylor your line to your rod. It seems to me the first few times you use any floating line they perform good. Then as they break in the tips seem to start to sink. Greasing the first couple feet will work, but I got tired of that, needed some new lines a few years ago and Rio did what I wanted it to do. Float all the time.