The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 AM

CaBrit is on a distinguished road
Default How do you organize your fly box?

Hi all, as a newcomer to fly fishing I'm starting to accumulate a collection of flys and was wondering how some of you more experienced guys and ladies organize your fly collection especially your 'on the water' boxes.

I currently have 3 places to fish, one is a wild hatchery lake that requires barbless hooks and another is a technical tailwater that has high flows right now and is mostly nymph fishing. The third is the river that inspired me to take up flyfishing - the N. Fork of the Yuba river (which I'll fly fish for the first time at the eand of this month, yeay!).

I have a couple of SA SystemX boxes that I'm really happy with, one is designated to the barbless flys for the lake and the other has the local creek nymphs on one side and the drys that I'll need for the Yuba on the other side. Now I realize that some of the flys will work on all the waters and some are location specific.

Do you load up boxes for the water you're fishing and how do you organize them? Do you put them together in their cycles (nymph, emerger, dry) or have separate boxes/sections for them? I look forward to hearing your imput.

A short note to other newbies - always buy your flys and other incedentals like leaders, tippet etc. localy when you can. You may pay a buck or two more than you would online, but the advice is invaluable and they want you to catch fish.

Thanks all
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 AM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do you organize your fly box?

I have two of the SA fly boxes. One is a combo nymph/dry and the other is a straight dry box.

One one side of the combo I keep my nymphs, split shot, and strike indicators (the box is designed to hold these) and on the other side I keep streamers and buggers.

In the dry box I keep dries on one side and terrestrials on the other.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:21 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

If I am carrying full gear and not familiar with the water I carry one nymph box, one dry, and one with big attractors, terrestrials and streamers. I will also carry a small box of wets. If its water I am familiar with I typically go very light - one box with everything I know they will hit on.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Sounds like we share the same waters. I'm heading up to the N. Fork Yuba later this morning.
Where bouts are you located? I'm in Grass Valley and also new to fly fishing. If your in the Grass Valley, Nevada City area you should check out our local club, Gold Country Fly Fishers, which meets the first Wed. of the month at Seamans Lodge at Pioneer Park in Nevada City.

Re. fly boxs, I keep my lake assortment in one box in the float tube pocket. On the river I carry a small compartment type box with a days worth assortment on my lanyard and another small box in my fanny pak.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 AM

mtnman2888 is on a distinguished road

This is a problem that you will always have.......

I have two boxes, one for streams and the other for tailwaters since there is a major difference in flies used. I only carry one box at a time and i've found that there really is no reason to carry more than that since i mainly just use several patterns that i have confidence in.

I try not to make things complicated with too many flies.

www.backpackingangler.com
Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

I have 3 of those lightweight Morrel foam fly boxes. One is designated for dry flies, one is designated to nymphs, scuds, emergers, and the last one is designated to buggers and streamers. All hooks are barbless. Realistically, I could bring just 1 fly box with whatever select patterns for the water I'm going to fish (which, for a lot of streams, is just 1-3 nymph patterns, some buggers, and a couple dry fly patterns), but I figure that I've got the space in my vest, so why not? Plus, having 1 fly box designated for dries and 1 for nymphs allows me to carry both a huge variety (in case I see some unexpected bug at a particular stream I want to imitate) and a huge stock (so I don't have to re-fill my supplies of a particular pattern after each fishing trip).
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 AM

CaBrit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
Sounds like we share the same waters. I'm heading up to the N. Fork Yuba later this morning.
Where bouts are you located? I'm in Grass Valley and also new to fly fishing. If your in the Grass Valley, Nevada City area you should check out our local club, Gold Country Fly Fishers, which meets the first Wed. of the month at Seamans Lodge at Pioneer Park in Nevada City.

Re. fly boxs, I keep my lake assortment in one box in the float tube pocket. On the river I carry a small compartment type box with a days worth assortment on my lanyard and another small box in my fanny pak.

Hi Flydog, hope you had a great day on the Yuba? I'm from the Bay Area but know the N. Fork area pretty well from gold mining. I used to spin/bait cast a little when I was up there and it inspired me to take up flyfishing this year. I've been practicing a lot at the local casting ponds and lakes and have been to Putah Creek a couple of times to practice casting, mending and fishing moving water. I'm heading up to the N. Fork for 5 days at the end of the month and taking a clinic with C&R at the Lure.

I love the N. Yuba area and can't wait to flyfish it. I have a 5 wt which I think is good for the main forks but already thinking of getting a 3 wt next year for some of the feeder creeks. Have you fished Lavezzola, Oregon or Kanaka creeks? I'll be staying at Indian Valley any suggestions for good areas? I've heard that the Canyon creek confluence is pretty good?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts & perhaps we'll toss some flys together sometime?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:39 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

I have 10 fly boxes loaded and ready to go for various situations but rarely carry more than 2 with me at one time. There is one for nymphs, one for terrestrials, one for streamers, etc. I also have 2 combo boxes, one for trout and one for bass. It's very easy to fill from a specific box into a general combo box.

Who knows, maybe I'm way over doing it.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:27 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

I carry 3 C&F boxes with me all the time. One's set up for strictly for tiny midge patterns, another is dedicated to "San Juan Dries", and the other is set up for nymphs, copper johns, etc on one side and larger dries, foamies, attractors, etc on the other. I also have a couple of those 20 compartment Spirit River boxes that I keep in the truck and have the compartments loaded with 6-12 flies each. Nice to have extras and I'm pretty bad about giving stuff away LOL!

Phil
Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 PM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Sent you PM.