The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Setting a 24? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/58980-setting-24-a.html)

jasalvas 10-11-2010 12:55 AM

Setting a 24?

Hello everyone.

I was fishing a Norther California river the other day and caught a small Callibaetis hatch. I tied on a size 24 BWO, I had plenty of takes, but could not land a fish! Is there a certain technique to setting such a small hook?

Any info is appreciated!!:D

MoscaPescador 10-11-2010 02:02 AM

Re: Setting a 24?

Say "God save the Queen," then lift the rod tip up gently.

MP

PS: Were you on the Fall River? That's a nice fishery, but those trout can be darn selective.

ant 10-11-2010 06:54 AM

MP is right. 99% of my missed hook-ups are because I try to set the hook to early.

yatahey 10-11-2010 08:21 AM

Were you fishing down stream to these fish? Often fishing down stream to fish you have a tendency to yank the fly out of the fishes mouth when going to set the hook. Best is to fish up river, second would be cross river. But always try to set the hook in a down stream lifting motion when possible. Fish face into the current so when you set the hook down stream you pull the hook into the corner of the fishes mouth which is where you want it.

jpbfly 10-11-2010 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=MoscaPescador;150290]Say "God save the Queen," then lift the rod tip up gently.

MP

:thumbsup:

That's a great piece of advice Dennis...please repost it in the "little tricks to share" thread:icon_wink

chi flyfisher 10-11-2010 07:31 PM

Yep. Trying to set it too fast no doubt. Happens to me quite a bit when I'm dry fly fishing small flies. Take a bit of time to allow the take. IME, they don't spit the dries as fast as a nymph.

Cheers,
Mike.

mojo 10-11-2010 07:37 PM

A nice glass rod will set the hook by itself. A crappy glass rod will to. But if you don't have a soft rod, I'll second what the others have said. All good advise. I fish with 32's during the winter and use bamboo, glass and an Orvis 4w One Ounce. Along with timing, a soft or slow actioned rod helps set the fly.

FrankB2 10-11-2010 07:41 PM

You guys should see my wife fishing a dry fly. She recites the Gettyburg's Address, takes a nap, and still won't lift the rod. It's kind of funny, actually. :D She's good with nymphs for some reason, however.......

Pulling a #24 hook out of a fish's mouth should be fairly easy. The smallest I fish with is a #20, with #18's accounting for 90% of my #16 and smaller flies. I suppose rod action could play a part in this equation, with faster rods lifting more line faster. Yatahey's comments about fishing upstream match my experience, but I do fish downstream when required.

EDIT: Mojo posted rod action comments while I was typing. ;) Sounds like my experience, and it's tough to pull hooks out of a fish's mouth with a nice bamboo rod. I have a fast 5wt rod that does well with streamers, but have never used it for dry flies.

jasalvas 10-11-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 150290)
Say "God save the Queen," then lift the rod tip up gently.

MP

PS: Were you on the Fall River? That's a nice fishery, but those trout can be darn selective.

Thanks MP... I saw your post this morning and thought... Oh, another smart ass![poke]
Timing... YEs!! I was a little eager to set that hook. I was fishing the Upper Sac. They were all smaller fish, but some beautiful wild trout!! I was fishing downstream. I would yank the hook, or I would fight them for a second and lose them. I dont think I landed any while fishing a 24. I switched to a 22 and landed a couple. Not as many takes, but some were in the net.

MP, Ever fish the Pit or Hat Creek? Im thinking about taking a trip Friday.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo (Post 150634)
A nice glass rod will set the hook by itself. A crappy glass rod will to. But if you don't have a soft rod, I'll second what the others have said. All good advise. I fish with 32's during the winter and use bamboo, glass and an Orvis 4w One Ounce. Along with timing, a soft or slow actioned rod helps set the fly.

Hi Mo,

I cant imagine fishing a 32... Now I am going to have to give it a try. Do you tie your own flies?

MoscaPescador 10-11-2010 10:41 PM

I still have yet to fish Hat Creek.

I normally fish between Pit 4 and 5. Be careful wading. It is the toughest stream that you will ever wade. You never know about the next hole that you could be stepping into. Wading staffs are recommended. A inflatable PFD might not be a bad idea, too. Anyways it is Isonychia mayfly time. Trout will be keying in on them. I'd fish Mercer's Isonychia followed with some sort of PMD nymph.

MP