The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 10:34 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default Shooting Line

Hi All,

Could someone enlighten this newby on what shooting line is and it's purpose.

Thanks....
Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shooting Line

Shooting line is a way to increase your casting distance, most lines load most rods with about 30' to 40' of line out past the rod tip. the distance you cast your line beyond the wieght foward portion of your line is considered shot line , most saltwater fly guys can shoot about 40'to 70' of line (average) out of a stripping basket making the cast about 70' to well over 100' long. Alot of people will tell they catch 90% of the fish within a 50' but most of them are only casting 55' tops. If you really want to cast far you need to study and master the double haul, it is the most effective way to fully load your rod. I have seen guys cast 120' fly lines and 30 or 40' 0f backing with 9 and 10 wt. rod, I might average about an 80' cast. Do a you tube search on shooting line or the double haul some good lessons to watch
JimW
Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
Hi All,

Could someone enlighten this newby on what shooting line is and it's purpose.

Thanks....
It's usually a very thin line to which 'heads' are attached.
The heads vary in length anywhere from 10 to 40' with 30' being a popular length.
Being that the running line is so thin, once you get the head out and a few feet of overhang of the head past the rod tip (there is a sweet spot of overhang that will work best for you) you can get by with one back cast and a haul to shoot a long, long line indeed! The thin line creates much less resistance through the guides.
I prefer Rio Slickshooter running lines right now as they are slick and oval-shaped (for again less drag) and after a stretch straighten out nicely.
The beauty of a shooting head system is that you can swap out heads very easily to cover all fly fishing depths.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 AM

Thanks Guys,

I was trying to figure out if this was something that figured into Trout fishing in normal conditions with either floating or intermediate line.

Thanks Again,
Old 09-18-2008, 09:22 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

If you retrieve and strip in line you might have to shoot line on your false casts.

For long distance casting I like to shoot up to ten feet of line on each false cast. (I know how much I'm shooting by counting to myself: one, two, three.)

If you are shooting line you'll have to speed up your casts and hauls to generate more power.

Randy
Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If this thread seems a little confusing to some of you, there's a good reason why.

Jackster's response is about a shooting line (or running line) that's used behind a shooting taper head.

Randy and JimW are speaking of the act of shooting line (or throwing extra line) in the cast.

Flydog .. normally you would not need a shooting head system when fishing for trout. On the other hand needing to shoot line during a cast is pretty much a given.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FlyDog,

As you can see there is a little confusion on what you are asking. So I think it would help if you told us if you are asking how do I shoot line. Or, are you asking what kind/type of line is shooting line. Shooting a line is a casting technique. Shooting line (running line) is a type of line used on shooting heads for longer distance.

Can you give us a little more information what you are asking about?

Frank
Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 PM

Sorry for the confusion.

I was speaking of the spools of "Shooting Line" like Frog Hair Gamma Shooting Line. I've heard of using it for butt material for leader conection but was wondering what it's actual purpose was.

Sorry and Thanks again...
Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
Sorry for the confusion.

I was speaking of the spools of "Shooting Line" like Frog Hair Gamma Shooting Line. I've heard of using it for butt material for leader conection but was wondering what it's actual purpose was.

Sorry and Thanks again...
Thanks for clearing that up! I was starting to second-guess the answer I gave in post #2!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:55 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I use Gudebrod butt leader material as one of my shooting heads. Like the Frog's Hair it has low memory, very important, but I had to put a big loop into to attach my shooting heads. This is somewhat of a hassle. (Dan Blanton, I think, has an article on his site about how to splice a loop, but I couldn't quite do it.) Also, I do have some concerns about the colors of the Frog's Hair.

I also use the low-memory Cortland running line. It has a little more memory than the butt leader, but it's easier to put a loop into it and it won't absorb water.

The Orvis running line comes with a loop attached, but their old running lines seemed to have a lot of memory. I'm not sure about their new version.

Randy