The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 12:46 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default reasonably priced glass?

Does anyone know of a decent glass 4 wt. rod in the $200 neighborhood? Best i can find is the scott glass rod, but its a good bit more expensive. I would go vintage, but i would prefer a rod with a decent waranty. A slow graphite rod would work as well i suppose. Anyone know of anything slower than a Sage Launch?

I should note...this rod is not for me. Its for a friend of mine. Hes newer to the sport, so i let him cast my launch and my legend ultra. Seems the slower the action the more he liked the rod. I figured, we could test drive him on some glass and see what he thinks. It will be used for trout, smaller bass, and pan fish.

Last edited by Cool Hand Hodge; 10-13-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reasonably priced glass?

Not sure about $200, but Hardy sells glass rods from $325 to $425.

Lamiglas stopped selling fiberglass fly rods over the past couple of years. You might be able to find one somewhere. If I recall correctly the prices were reasonable.

Another option is to consider a slow graphite rod. If you have an authorized Redington dealer, have him try the 8'6" 4 or 5 weight Classic Trout (CT). The rod has a very easy going feel to it. I had to back my stroke down a lot to feel adjusted to it. Cliff wrote a review on the 8'6" 5 weight CT. You may want to read it. Most shops will sell the CT for $129.95.

Because of the different types of fish that your friend will be targeting, a 5 weight might be a better option for him. It will help him deliver poppers and other larger flies better.

MP
Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Cabela's is going to be offering a line of fiberglass rods under their brand in their next catalog. Starting price will be around $100

The Fiberglass Manifesto: First Look - Cabela's C.G.R. Series

I mostly fish with vintage glass in fresh water and the lack of a warranty is not something that should worry you. Fiberglass rods are a lot tougher than graphite, and most vintage rods are fairly cheap.
My top of the line, late 1950's Phillipson Royal was only $30 from a dealer

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-13-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

These rods may not be for everyone, but they are a great value and a number of people do enjoy fishing them -

Eagle Claw Featherlight Fly Rods

I'd suggest anyone interested in getting a new one of these make sure they get a 2010 model. They have been upgraded very nicely from the previous version.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I, too, was going to suggest the Eagle Claw Featherweight. Nifty little rod!

Another suggestion might be, Mud Hole has Lamiglass rods and blanks for well under $100. Love, love, love my Lamiglass! Will use it over the Hardy most any day! (Not just a figure of speech ... I have a few Hardy glass rods ... and the Lamiglass is just a heck of a lot of fun!!)
Old 10-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

They have those Eagleclaw Featherweights at W*lmart
For some reason just the 7' 5wt and not the 6'6" 4wt.
I bought one a couple of years ago. They have a stiff butt and a soft tip due to the butt over tip ferrule construction. Still worth the 20 bucks though.

I also have an early (pre- Eagleclaw) Wright&McGill 6'6" Featherweight with a sliding band reel seat and brass ferrules. I can't imagine that it was any more expensive than the modern version but it's one of my favorite rods. It loads with only a foot of 4wt line out of the tip-top.

As for the Lamiglass.... My father built me one back in 1972. My first "good" trout rod. If they're still the same, that rod would be too slow for most folks. I love mine though and still fish it regularly after all these years
Old 10-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The 8.5' 5wt CT is indeed a fine fit for what you're describing, and I agree that a 5wt does deliver poppers and such much better than lighter line weights. In fact I contemplated fishing my 4wt on my 5wt CT this wknd, but I don't think it would deliver poppers well enough. (A GPX prolly would, but I've got the mastery trout line)

I'm curious about the cabelas glass rods, but I'll pass on the 4wt if they only offer it a 6'6" length. That's just too short in my book, YMMV.

A 7.5' 4wt lami honey would likely do nicely, and you could probably have one built up nicely by an experienced builder for $180 or so.

You also might look into the WW Grigg Vintage glass rods- Flyfishing-rods.com - Fishinrods.com
Though 5/6wt is as light as they get.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:40 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I'm not breaking any rules, but here's a glass kit for sale cheap: CLICK HERE It won't last too long, so jump if you want it. I thought about going for it, but hate the reel seat. You can change them, but......
Old 10-13-2010, 07:49 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

If building one isn't a problem, Lamiglas still sells the blanks although they've cut down on the offerings.

Model No. Length Sec. Line Butt Diameter Tip Size AverageWt. MSRP
FL 783 6’6” 2 3 .345 4.5 7/8 $78.00
FL 843 7’ 2 3 .405 5.5 1 5/8 $87.00
FL 904 7’6” 2 4 .445 5.5 1 3/4 $90.00
FL 965 8’ 2 5 .490 6 2 $94.00

Steffan Brothers has blanks to for a great price. I think they're around $150 or so. You'll have to call for a price. One of the best glass rods on the market.
Another you might want to look at is South Fork Rod Company. Dave Redington's company. Fiberglass Fly Rods, South Fork Rod Company manufactures the finest fly rods

I think to build one would be in his ball park. Or wait for Cabelas to come out with their line. Or keep checking on Fiberglass Fly Rodders forum.
Fiberglass Fly Rods For Sale - Active Discussions - fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board
edit, Cliff mentioned the WW Griggs glass rod. It has some graphite in it, but it's 98% glass. Joni loves hers and fishes the hell out of it.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the help guys. Had him "test drive" a glass eagle claw this evening. Looks like he will be going with a graphite rod after all. Probaly a Sage Vantage. Ill let you all know for sure though, as he also like a couple of Cableas rods. I really want him to try a L.L Bean double L, but there are none around us.