The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   buying online (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/5974-buying-online.html)

eaglesfn68 09-21-2008 09:54 AM

buying online

hey guys, i wanted to buy a reel and line off the computer so i went to Cabelas.
but when i put my order in shipping + taxes was an extra $20.00 . Thats ridiculous. Do you know anywhere online i can go that has either free shipping or relatively cheap shipping. Or if theres a code for Cabelas that would be great. thanks.

Lubina 09-21-2008 11:45 AM

Re: buying online

Online Fly Fishing Shop.

I have ordered from them recently, no tax and free shipping

hardhat 09-21-2008 12:02 PM

Look into some of the specials at the Bears Den, Sierra Trading Post, Fly Shop Closeouts, the classifieds on this and some of the forums, the fly shop connected to this forum, and ebay. There are numerious other places just do a Google search for fly line specials. But remember when it comes down to fly lines it is sometimes extravagant to be cheap.

FlyRichardFly 09-21-2008 11:24 PM

Cabelas has a $4.95 flat rate now!!
Here is the problem: If you drive to Cabelas it will cost much more than $20 and the Cabelas store probably won't have what you are looking for..... Then you have to put up with a commission sales rep to buy something else.

A couple months ago I really wanted a Redington CPS. Cabelas has a low cost combo for only $395. I researched all the info on the CPS and saw that they were the lightest X Fast rod for that price.
I drove to Cabaleas, the new huge one in Hamburg, PA and sure enough they didn't have any CPS's or even any Legend Ultras! I spent well over $50 for gas and spent most of the day driving.
That night I ordered the outfit I wanted...... with the reel I wanted, and line with overnight shipping at less than half of what I spent when I drove there.

The closest Orvis store is twice as far for me. And I know if I drove there they probably won't have exactly what I'm looking for.

Everything I buy now is Orvis "next day shipping" I check it out closely and buy just what I want. Most stores won't have exactly what I'm after, so the smooth talking sales person will try his best to sell me whatever he has on stock.

Another point: Online you can get the latest and greatest stuff. Any store will have to sell the old outdated junk first before they order the latest stuff.

I'm addicted to online buying. When you compare everything, it's the only way to go. Now I have to buy more stuff....... which I really don't need!

RDRogers 09-21-2008 11:31 PM

Fishwest Online Fly Shop - Your source for all things fly fishing! We carry Sage, Simms, Waterworks Lamson, Fishpond and so much more... Fly Fishing Supplies and Fly Tying Equipment

Free shipping and great customer service from these guys.

FlyRichardFly 09-22-2008 12:29 AM

Rodgers,

This makes my point!! That site doesn't even carry CPS or even St Croix!
The Sage FLi's are no longer made, so everyone has a sale on them!

I don't want to offend anyone here, but a smart shopper will go to the source and buy direct!

I know our economy is near depression, and the middleman is what small business is, but most don't like to get ripped off all the time!

For rod builders...... who can possibly compete with a huge factory in China where the young kids are paid 50 cents a hour?

And the China quality is the best in the world today! They make thousands every day, and if a young Chinese worker would ever make a bad rod....... he would be beat with a whip and maybe his fingers cut off!!

Years ago Orvis went to Korea for cheap labor. They are the best in the world now. No one can compete with that.

A service economy means we purchase from overseas, slave labor, and sell to Americans with a slight profit! The huge stores can bulk buy and sell for a slight markup. The little tackle shops can't compete.

A few years ago I thought of starting a small flyshop. Totally impossible with the global economy!