The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default St. Croix

It looks as if St. Croix is bringing back the Imperial line of rods for 2009.

I saw a quick thing on it in FlyRod&Reel Mag (pg. 15). They will be burgundy with Rosewood inserts for 2 thru 6wts with aluminum inserts for 7 thru 10 wts. Comes with a limited lifetime and a case.

Based on the cost ($150-200), it sounds like these are right above the Reign line and in line with the Avid line.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: St. Croix

Hi axle27,

I wonder if they are just bringing back the name. It would seem like a step backward not to use their new tapers unless they come from over seas.

Frank
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I check the St. Croix sight and found nothing along the lines of press releases. It would seem that I was inaccurate concerning where the new Imperials fall within the line up.

They will be between the Reign and the Avid, not paralleling the Avid line.

The question is, are these made in the USA or not. I check the FlyRod&Reel Magazine site, but nothing is mentioned there. that is not surprising, tho.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 7'6" 4wt Imperial rod, and have been using it quite a bit during the
last couple weeks. I bought it on close-out, and it didn't see much use for
a few years. I've come to love this rod! The action is tough to describe:
it seems medium, but can respond to a quick casting stroke with ease. It
throws a ton of line quickly and with tight loops. Accuaracy is dead on!
I also bought a 7'6" 4wt St. Croix Pro Graphite (SCII blank) on close-out, and replaced the ridiculously large full wells grip with a much smaller reverse half wells grip. Both rods behave identically, and were made in the USA. It would
be nice to see the Imperial brought back *if* it's made in the USA.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 PM

Looks like they are being built in Mexico. Under a section called Angling Trade in the FlyRodandReel Mag (page 11), it states that St. Croix setup a factory in Frensilla, Mexico for production to compete with Redington, TFO and Albright who have their stuff made in Asia.

I'd like to see one. I have an older one. I'm in love with my Avid and am thinking about trading off the Imperial for another Avid.

If wishes where money....
Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Mexico, Asia, Korea, and China!! Such a shame!

Whoever the next pres is, he should make the US manufacture things again. Top priority.

We can never compete with the world economy. The slave labor makes 50 cents a hour. A American worker needs $20 an hour just to survive.

St Croix could pay US employees $20/hr with full health benefits, a 401K, and 5 weeks paid vacation........ just like every other country does!!! France, Germany, Europe, Japan and all the rest!

The CEO's don't have to make 600 times what the workers make, and give themselves multi million bonuses.

This would work! Put America back to work with middle class income. If the rod costs $400, no big deal...... the employees are making >50K a year.

If rods come here from overseas, slave labor, they will be tariffed to cost $800 each!

It's time for America to be number 1 again. We should also make all our cars here in the states. If you want to buy a Honda, it will cost ya 200K!

Today on TV, all the lying pigs want us to give them 1 trillion!!! So they can give themselves million dollar bonuses.

McCain and Obama are both too stupid to suggest to put the trillion in "bottom up" economy. The middle class has to make money again so they can buy some nice flyrods....... and houses again.

So sad today to see the almost laughing super rich lobbyists say the banks need a trillion with no oversight to where it's going. Every fam in the US will pay 7000 a year to pay off the debt so the super rich can have huge bonuses again.

It's up to the flyfishermen to take the country back again. LOL But I know this will never happen.

Bill Mahr said it best: "the voting public will probably vote the wrong guy in again" "they are too stupid to understand a complex thought" "they only need a one word name like "Maverick" or "Changer" "they don't understand the economy, healthcare, taxes or trickle down"

Sorry for venting, I just purchased a bigscreen TV and I've been watching all the "spin" and "lies" on TV.

The TV is a huge wonderful thing..... full HD, LCD, crystal clear pic ....... and made in China!!

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan