The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Hookenum is on a distinguished road
Default Southern Calif. Golf Course Fish

This is my first post as i just signed up today. It's nice to see the discussions and hello to all of you fellow Fly Fishers. Those of you who live in So Cal know the fishing areas are vanishing and we hope to save the few good spots we have. I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any golf courses that have access to fish. I used to fish golf course lakes as a kid (only a couple years ago haha) and this is a thought i just had. I welcome any information and again hello to all of you. Thanks,
Old 09-26-2008, 09:16 AM

burns is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Southern Calif. Golf Course Fish

I don't know much about Southern Cal, but in general golf course ponds/lakes can be great because they usually don't get much pressure. I used to work at a course that had great ponds and tons of carp, plus bluegill and bass.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Hookenum,

Welcome to the forum.

Golf course lakes usually have fish in them but it is hard to get permission to fish. I lived in a community and we owned 7 golf courses. I wanted to find a lake to practice casting. I picked a lake out of the way and casting wouldn't interfere with the golfers. They turned me down flat. Wouldn't even discuss it. They said somebody might get hit by a ball and the golf courses are for golfers.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Frank
Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 AM

Thank you, i know of a few i might try until they boot me. its not like im trespassing to play golf, im just fishing. I love this site and appreciate your replies....Going out to a small local stream tomorrow. I'll post the results. Take care
Old 09-27-2008, 12:40 AM

i'm going to give it a try soon. Thank you
Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 PM

Went to the West fork of the San Gabriel River and caught 5 small (6") german browns. It was a beautiful day out there. Then got a wild hair and stopped at Bass Pro Shops and bought me a 2wt and headed out to a golf course near my house. Caught 10 (5 largemouth, 5 bluegill) in less than 2 hours. Nobody said anything about being there but im not going to push my luck. I'm going to wait a week or 2 before i go back so i dont set a pattern because i think i was lucky nobody said anything. Thanks, Take Care