The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Fly fishing North-Central Wyoming

My son and I will he heading to Wyoming on an antelope hunting trip in a few weeks. We'll be staying with a relative in Worland, Wyoming. We don't have a lot of time but in as much as antelope hunts can sometimes be a fairly quick affair, I'm thinking I'm going to pack my fly fishing equipment. We should be able to spend a day fishing.

My cousin isn't a flyfisher but he's thinking of taking me to the Wind River Reservation at Thermopolis which is only about 30 couple miles from Worland. He says there are some huge trout there if I can figure out how to catch them - Ha!. So, that's my question......if I have one day to fish that area, would the Wind River be a good choice and does anyone have a clue, in general,as to what might work (fly-wise). I've only ever fly fished the East, with my soft-hackle wets of course ............so, this will be new and different.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:00 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly fishing North-Central Wyoming

I've never fished the area that you are talking about. If you can't find any information on that area, I would recommend driving a few miles more into yelow stone. I've fished that before, that it can be some great fishing.

My father in law was up in that area last week and said that the fishng was good. The trout will be starting to move to spawning grounds so I would prepare for that. The stone flies are pretty much gone for the year, but you might still have a few left. I would take some midge patterns (zebra midge, seredipity) and adams. Let me know if you need the patterns.

I will be there the first of November and that will be what I will be taking.

I hope this helps

John
Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

Hope you have a great time. I can't help alot, but we had a great time fishing the Winds a few weeks ago. Not sure if dries will still be working when you get there but the Streamer I kept hearing about was a JJ Special.

On our website we have about 30 minutes of video and pictures of the area we fished.

It's on the fishing page at MarkandChrisLundin.com.

Take care
Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Hi Greenwood.

The Wind/Big Horn River is a fun and productive fishery.

With such limited time for you I would recommend strongly that you consider obtaining the services of a guide and float the river. Although the flows out of the reservoir will be minimal this time of year, property laws in Wyoming can be tricky for the outsider. Since your cousin doesn't flyfish he may not know the 'fence lines' well enough along the banks. Of course, if you're only going to be in the reservation, this won't be a problem.

Regardless, I think you'll have fun. The river can be easy wading in the fall with low flows.

You might also consider Shell Ck, east of Greybull. It's a fun little stream that holds some fine fish. There again, the property lines outside the Bighorn National Forest can be problematic, though many guides have learned to gain access to private property and property owners have learned that allowing fly-fishers onto their land can be another source of revenue.

I've had great fun fishing Wyoming streams, but gaining access can be hit-and-miss without local knowledge and help.

I do concur with the advice about Yellowstone (just returned last night after a week over there), but the travel to the closest stream there would add greatly to your travel distance.

Have a great time...with your pronghorn hunt and your fly-fishing.

Allen R
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the information! I can pretty easily cover the midge patterns and streamers. I'm also going to look into Shell Creek - I know we've hunted the Greybull area in the past. I'll let you all know how things go after my return in early November.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
Thanks for the information! I can pretty easily cover the midge patterns and streamers. I'm also going to look into Shell Creek - I know we've hunted the Greybull area in the past. I'll let you all know how things go after my return in early November.
I had an internship in Greybull this summer, and i fished Shell Creek ALOT. If you drive up the canyon a ways, past the falls, and then drop in, you can catch 100 rainbows in a day, that range from 1.5"(caught on a size 16 dry) to 10"(quite the whopper)

As you enter the public fishing, just into the canyon, there can be fish up to 18", with about 50/50 browns rainbows, and the rare cutty and mountain whitefish.

There is sporardic public access, down lower. Some of the landowners are nice though if you want to ask, there the fishing is mostly for browns.

Right outside of greybull there is an access site as well. Down there you have your best shot at a 7 pounder................ I am talking carp though. With a chance of a walleye that works its way up from the bighorn river. To me catching walleye out of a small stream is fun, but not what most people who come to wyoming to fish are looking for.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:59 AM

Thanks Skibum,
I'll save this note and take it with me to Wyoming. I'll lay it out to my cousin and see which location will work best for our time format.