The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Light Weight fly rods
Cortland Brook #3 2 3.45%
TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse Fly Rods #1,2 8 13.79%
Cabelas Clear Creek #1 1 1.72%
Echo Classic #3 4 6.90%
Cabelas LST #2 2 3.45%
Cabelas PT+ #2,3 0 0%
Redington RS4 Rod #3 2 3.45%
other 39 67.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default light weight fly rods

Hi everbody,

I'm looking to buy a light weight rod and i was wondering what kind to buy. I prefur cortland rods but i know there are probably better ones for the price. If you chose other please tell me the rod you would suggest. My price range is anything below $250.

Thanks for your suggetions.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 PM

ben in the woods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: light weight fly rods

I used to have a Sage Launch 3wt. I mainly used it for crappie and bluegill when I lived in WI. If I remember, I think it sold for about $200? Regardless, it was definitely a fun little rod that still had a quality feel to it. Hope this helps.

Ben
Old 09-26-2008, 06:33 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

I have cast the Cortland Brook rod in 3wt and it is a sweet rod. If you like Cortland rods you will love it. I would have guessed it cost twice what it does. Very nice looking too!
Old 09-26-2008, 09:49 PM

burns is on a distinguished road

I voted for the TFO Finesse because I have the 8'9" 4-weight and it is fantastic, but I haven't tried it in a 2 or 3 weight. I have a Cabelas 2-weight which is GREAT. It's the old "Traditional" model, 6'6". I have cast the Brook and I liked it.

The Echo is a whole other deal - it's pretty quick. I prefer a somewhat slower (medium action rod) for light weight work. I have the Echo 2 in a 6-weight, which is great for bass and a few other purposes.

Is the Redington quick too?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:22 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

What are you going to use the rod for? I use my two-weight primarily for small streams (REALLY small streams), with smaller flies. There is something about small streams that is so relaxing and peaceful, and they just beg for a slow-medium rod. I think a faster rod (even medium-fast like the Echo) on a small stream is like driving an Indy car on a twisting, turning country road. It's overkill. I'm guessing the Redington is quick too, but I don't know that particular model.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

My main use for the rod will be small creeks, spring creeks, and small rivers.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Look into the Echo and even the St. Croix 2wt Avid would be nice. I am a HUGE FAN of Echo Classic rods. I have a 5wt on hold at the fly shop right now!
Old 10-04-2008, 06:35 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

All I fish are small streams. I just bought a Sage Launch 7'6" 3wt. It's a great rod that i compare to many high end rods i've owned. Built with G5 technology and very smooth action. Made in Washington and a lifetime warranty for $199.

I personally don't think any rod on your list can compare, but that's my opinion. Go cast a Sage Launch before you make any decisions.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

As can be seen, there are a lot of votes on this poll for "other". Personallly, I think that fishing anything below a 7' 3 wt. is more of an academic exercise than a positive angling experience.

I know that there are those who enjoy being able to fish the 0's, 1's and 2's, but I would ask those who do whether they really think that they'd be disadvantaged if they were fishing a 3 wt. instead. In terms of very light and precise presentations; even in difficult to reach spots, I think that you can do it all with a good 3 wt.

If rod action is too "punchy" with a graphite 3 wt., then I suggest that you try what I tried this Spring; move to fiberglass. On a separate post tonight I extolled the virtues of a glass 3 wt. like Diamondback's 7'6" Diamondglass rod. I have yet to encounter an angling situation this season that has caused me to wish that I had lighter tackle; and I fish a lot of very small freestone streams.

FYI - I also fish an old Fenwick FF535 Midge glass rod (5'3" long) with an old Martin MG-3 reel on it, in these environs and, frankly, in most situations I'd take the D-glass 3 wt. over the smaller, lighter rod. Apples and oranges, I know, but I think that the point is the same; I can't see myself ever needing to fish anything below a glass 7' 3t.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:13 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
If rod action is too "punchy" with a graphite 3 wt., then I suggest that you try what I tried this Spring; move to fiberglass. On a separate post tonight I extolled the virtues of a glass 3 wt. like Diamondback's 7'6" Diamondglass rod. I have yet to encounter an angling situation this season that has caused me to wish that I had lighter tackle; and I fish a lot of very small freestone streams.

FYI - I also fish an old Fenwick FF535 Midge glass rod (5'3" long) with an old Martin MG-3 reel on it, in these environs and, frankly, in most situations I'd take the D-glass 3 wt. over the smaller, lighter rod. Apples and oranges, I know, but I think that the point is the same; I can't see myself ever needing to fish anything below a glass 7' 3t.
Second the glass motion.