The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 01:43 PM

tranquilidad is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Rod and Line Decisions... Please Help.

I am trying to decide on a wf-8-f line for largemouth... Will be used on Lamson Konic 3.5 reel... Rod is undecided but possibilities are TFO LK Signature Series, Sage Launch... (Opinions on these rods also welcomed)

First, I am wondering what line you guys think is the best for bass and why?

I am considering: Rio's The Clouser... Rio's Bass Line...

What do you guys think? Your the experts...

Thanks, Paul.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:04 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bass Rod and Line Decisions... Please Help.

The Sage bass rods are great rods, inexpensive and come with a shooting fly line. At $350.00 it's a rod you can't pass up.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:50 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i'm not an expert but rio's The Clouser and their Bass lines are designed to throw bigger flies and handle well in wind which often accompanies lakes so those two choices are good in my opinion. personally i'd get whichever is cheapest. i don't seem to fall prey to marketing hype much when i think of lines for bass fishing, though i don't do it often anyway.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:53 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

One thing you may want to think about or ask is how well will flies like popers work on those rods. I've always been told that to cast better go with a stiffer rod. In this case a faster action. I use a 5wt and a 9wt for bass. Both have a hard time with popers. With both rods I have a hard time getting any kind of distance with. I can go with any streamer and get much better distances, and going to a large clouser minnow I get even more distance. It is not often to get a bass to come up and hit a fly (poper or other) that is 10ft from the boat. Now if your fishing from shore 10ft is all you may need. For me I do 99.9% of my fishing from the boat and I needs to have as much distance as I can get. Lastly, the reel you need should have a very good drag. Often a good sized largmouth will dash for the weeds or trees. Trying to get them out of there with a fly rod is not easy. Its best to be able to stop them or atleast slow them down before they get in there too far.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

With the right casting technique you can cast a popper on a Sage Bass rod and shooting line at 80' out to the backing. I've done it a few times at Kelsey Bass Ranch. I can't say it enough, these rods are awesome!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:40 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilidad View Post
I am trying to decide on a wf-8-f line for largemouth... Will be used on Lamson Konic 3.5 reel... Rod is undecided but possibilities are TFO LK Signature Series, Sage Launch... (Opinions on these rods also welcomed)

First, I am wondering what line you guys think is the best for bass and why?

I am considering: Rio's The Clouser... Rio's Bass Line...

What do you guys think? Your the experts...

Thanks, Paul.
I have a Sage RPL 6 wt that works great for bass. I use just the normal wt forward line. As I understand it, a bass line is just a heavier wt forward line to help cast the heavier bass flies. I don't put that much stock into it. I can throw pretty good sized poppers with my 6 wt and a normal wt forward floating line. IMO, popper fishing for bass is the funnest top water action there is.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I too have heard great things about the Clouser lines from Rio.

A "Bass" line generally has a short heavy head and a short front taper. The short front taper is most important in my opinion, as it will aid in powerful turnover of a bulky/heavy fly.

That said, keep in mind that a 6wt with a "Bass" line is not likely to do nearly as well on bulky flies as a 8wt with a standard WFF line is.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:18 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

If you routinely catch 10 pound bass, maybe the 9-11wt Sage BASS rods are for you. I, personally catch all the bass I want on my 5wt. If I needed more umph, I could step up to an 8wt, but bass are not the best fighters, so lighter is better. I can throw a size 6 popper on my 5wt, and I think that a larger popper is too much for smaller bass!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 PM

The Sage bass rods are 6 and 7 wieghts not 9 and 11. do your research before you try and bash a good rod.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:31 AM

afishinado is on a distinguished road

I highly recommend the Clouser Rio line too.

Also, the Sage bass rods are great rods, and cast big flies with little effort, but according to MY research, they cast and are sold with a 10wt 290gr line (Smallmouth model), and an 11wt 330gr line (Largemouth model).

Fly Fishing Information-AFTMA

Sage Bass Fly Rods