The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Barb or Barbless?

I am going to be fishing the salmon run all October but I will not be keeping any of the fish I will be or could be catching. In that case would it be better for me to snip the barb off my fly or keep it on? I know it is more fish friendly to snip the barb off and in some cases I have heard of fisherman say you get a better hook set. Or would it just be better for me to leave the bard on?

Anyone snip the barbs off their flies? Or have an opinion on this subject matter.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barb or Barbless?

MIkeG

I use pliers and just bend the barb down. Really helps in removing the hook from the fish's mouth.

Larry
Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 PM

CoMtFishing will become famous soon enoughCoMtFishing will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
MIkeG

I use pliers and just bend the barb down. Really helps in removing the hook from the fish's mouth.

Larry
I agree just bend the barb down and it pretty much makes the hook barbless.

My Homepage
My Fishing T-shirt site How I pay for my fishing addiction.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Some places it is not permitted to fish with barbed hooks. I would check out the regulations on what is aloud and what is not. I fish with barbed most of the time and when it is not permitted I just smash the barb down on my flys. I think it is personal preference anyway.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:05 AM

plland is on a distinguished road

There are MANY long threads already on this subject. A forum search would be very productive.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:47 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

I go barbless. Way back when, back in the day, during the early years of a few people actualy fly fishing around here, many suggested that barbless allowed for a much easier hook set. I myself debarb the hooks I use. I, though, fish for larger fish like bass, eyes, and pike/musky. I very seldom get to fish for panfish with a fly. This past summer I managed to land several pike in the 30"+ range, a 18.5" smallmouth, and a 15" walleye. All were on a barbless hook. The key is to keep things tight. Slak can allow the hook to slide out.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I am going to be fishing the salmon run all October but I will not be keeping any of the fish I will be or could be catching. In that case would it be better for me to snip the barb off my fly or keep it on? I know it is more fish friendly to snip the barb off and in some cases I have heard of fisherman say you get a better hook set. Or would it just be better for me to leave the bard on?

Anyone snip the barbs off their flies? Or have an opinion on this subject matter.
Personally, I perfer barbless cuz its easier to get the hook out. Also when salmon come into fresh water on the spawning run their mouths will get harder. A hook with a barb has more area and will take a harder strike to set the hook, but certainly doesn't garantee a hook up. As with others here, I also just use my hemo's and push the barb down. As one poster pointed out, check to see what the reg's are for that water and tight lines to you.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

I would also go barbless. In the past after hooking a fish I sometimes I find it hard to remove the hook. Some pressure needed to get it off. I feel that the fish is in pain (call me soft if want.. lol). Many times I ended up having to snip off the hook out with the bard using a cutter and that wasted a lot of flies in the process. So now I crimp down the barb before using any flies.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I always pinch the barb. First for the fish, and second for me. Stick a hook in you with the barb not pinched and you'll be hating life.