The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 07:40 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Let's talk Sink Tips

I rarely use them - and I don't fish full sink lines. When I do use them, it's larger rivers, faster flows, and a versi-tip/versi-leader attached to WF Floating line. I typically use a 6 IPS tip.

The only time I use them is fishing streamers on the swing. I know that others use them for dead drifting/nymphing techniques. I can see how to do this while using a short cast and working a run because I'm high sticking/working a tight line and I'm in touch with the fly, per se. But when I'm dead drifting/nyphing a long line with large mends - I indie fish. I know no other way to detect the slight takes. Obviously I can't use an indie when I'm using a versi sink tip. So, how do you do it When I long line nymph, I'm limited to a lot of lead and a large indie. There has to be a better way with the versi/sink tip.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Let's talk Sink Tips

Good question! I was allways under the impression that they were designed for the swing. Personally I would stick with a mono leader and shot for both high sticking and long dead drifts. I imagine that versi will sweep the fish long before the bugs get there and cause a lot more snags. I'm sure someone can give you a better answer but if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk Sink Tips

I have a collection of sink tip lines with tips ranging from six feet to 28. Each line has a purpose.

My six foot tip line is called a midge tip. It is designed for stillwater because of the short intermediate clear tip. I use it to fish stillwater nymphs a foot or two below the surface film. I do not use it as a stripping line. I have full sink lines for that.

I own 15 foot sink tips in intermediate and type 3 sink rates. These are mostly used as swing lines. Occassionally I use them as stillwater lines when I fish from shore. Because a portion of the line floats, it has less chances to snag up.

My 24 foot type 4, 5, 6 sink tips are used primarily as swing lines for larger rivers, but they have other uses. One use is presenting a streamer upstream. I'll make an upstream cast, allow the fly to sink some, and strip very fast as if the fly is an escaping baitfish.

My 24 foot type 6 and my 28 foot type 8 sink tip are used as striper lines when I target Striped Bass out of a drift boat. The advantage of using these lines over shooting heads is that I have better line control. I can mend the line. The technique consists of casting slightly upstream, throwing a mend, and stripping the fly back to the boat as fast as I can.

I also have various interchangeable tips for my Skagit Spey lines ranging from 10 feet to 15 feet. I pretty much swing with these.

MP