The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Oh no not another etiquette thread!!!

I was doing a little searching this morning and couldn't find a thread that directly dealt with stream side etiquette. With the growing popularity of fly fishing I think its important that new guy/girls as well as some of the older hands share a little dialog on this subject. There are classes for casting,tying and all that jazz but none for how to "behave" on the water. With the fall run of steelhead just beginning here in the "Alley" I figured its time we talk about this. I hope the good folks here will post their ideas and "unwritten" rules on how to approach a run or pool if someone is already fishing it. I have my own set of rules but I'm more interested on what others think. So lets hear it and help give a little guidance to the newcomers....
Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Oh no not another etiquette thread!!!

Wt, this is a good subject.
The problem, is that "ethics" vary too much from place to place.
Around here, we have only one spot that you will see people lined up "combat style".
Anywhere else around here, it's considered rude to try and share a pool.
We don't even want to see you, let alone fish next to you.
There is plenty of water, walk on.
The flip side, if you already have a pool, don't sit on it all day. Others might like to fish it.
Down nearer population centers, there is a tendency to crowd up a little more.
So, when people come up that are used to crowding, they stand a bit close.
It is like they say "When in Rome, fish like they do."
Consider changing to local style when you travel.
Otherwise, an evil eye may focus on you, and we don't want bad fish juju, do we?

Jim

Bigfly
Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

You bring up a good points there Bigfly. Its exactly why I brought it up, even with regional differences there's always a general theme.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default How to make the best of it;

Hi WT,

Bigfly always comes through with clear level headed approaches to sometimes complex problems. I used to fish the Erie & Ontario creeks and rivers and for me the answer was to find that piece of water that the throngs of anglers seem to be disinterested in and see what I could find there.

During the course of a day I would pretty much hike the water and take note of where the fish were concentrated in the upper reaches of the watershed. Once I had some areas on the itinerary for the next day I would then rise hours before daylight and get to those upper areas and usually have at least a couple hours to fish after dawn before a crowd began to form. When the number of people vying for the water reached the saturation point I then went hiking again. This sometimes made for short days but by setting a target area for each day I was staying in an area I could have good fishing for at least a few hours per day. I spent the rest of the days exploring the streams or checking out the surrounding towns. Once my fishing buddy and I (while exploring a small town) found a case of Imported German wheat beer, (Paulaner Hefeweizen) on sale at an unbelievable bargain! I think you know how that went, all was not lost when the crowd pushed us out.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Default Re: How to make the best of it;

Thats gospel Ard!! All to true!! I can't help but laugh when I see guys pilling into eachother at noon! I LOVE the B water! I'll admit with every year that passes my temper gets shorter and shorter when it comes to crowding. In reality it shouldn't but nothing chaps my hide more than putting in the "work" and finding a pod of fish away from the crowds and have the parking lot trollers descend on me. It really is laughable, how mad I get, I think we all know that steamed up walk back to the truck! For me its usually followed by laughing all the way home!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

never high bank another guy

if you're wading the new guy must wait for a greeting from you ,
if he receives no greeting from you, he knows it's time to move on

if you are not the first on the water you must wait till someone acknowledges
you and says hello

always walk behind the fisherman next to you

when you have time talk to older fisherman about proper stream etiquette
maybe they'll turn you on to some excellent water

all good
buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 10-15-2010, 03:11 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I think that it can be summed up as "Do unto others..."

I have been fortunate in that I haven't run into too many ignoramuses lately, but whenever I do I usually find it time to move on. I figure that I will be ticked off for a day but that guy will be a jerk forever; so I doesn't really bother me.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 AM

albiechaser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I was doing a little searching this morning and couldn't find a thread that directly dealt with stream side etiquette. With the growing popularity of fly fishing I think its important that new guy/girls as well as some of the older hands share a little dialog on this subject. There are classes for casting,tying and all that jazz but none for how to "behave" on the water. With the fall run of steelhead just beginning here in the "Alley" I figured its time we talk about this. I hope the good folks here will post their ideas and "unwritten" rules on how to approach a run or pool if someone is already fishing it. I have my own set of rules but I'm more interested on what others think. So lets hear it and help give a little guidance to the newcomers....
just read this today from one of my steelhead spots. enjoy

Guided Trips/Rates
Old 10-16-2010, 12:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thing I've found here in Southern Oregon (fly only waters) is you can use a fly rod OR a regular rod (usually spinning) and a float (just no added weight under the float).

The "fly guys will typically do a 'cast-cast,' step down and rotate through a run. The 'fixed gear' guys will stand on a rock and set up light house keeping. Doesn't make a damned bit of difference they haven't hooked anything (and it's a very effective way of fishing) .. they'll just stand on their 'pet rock' and fling away.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:16 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
The 'fixed gear' guys will stand on a rock and set up light house keeping. Doesn't make a damned bit of difference they haven't hooked anything (and it's a very effective way of fishing) .. they'll just stand on their 'pet rock' and fling away.
Mr evans, Please answer me this (first, standing in one spot CAN make it so others cannot fish the spot, so moving gives other people the opportunity to fish the spot)

Fish are often moving, no?
1) so if you are constantly moving, you might "miss" some fish that are on the move at the same time.
2) since they are moving, if you are in one spot and it is a decent spot, and havent caught anything, isnt there a good chance fish will move into the spot?