The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Taking a dunk with waders on

I think Mark is on it again.
The trick is to plan on swimming.
Always wear a wading belt!
Always bring a change of clothes!
Always look where you may be swimming, holes, strainers, etc. downstream,
before you cast to Walter.
It may never happen, but be ready just in case.
After taking more than a few dips, I can say it is scary.
The goal is to roll out of the water on your side, and then roll around like a walrus, until your feet are up hill. Thus, draining the waders, so you can stand up.
At 7.35 lbs per gallon, it really adds up.
A quality PFD is about $120. What's your life worth?
Neoprene waders are buoyant, and tight fitting, so take on less water.
Breathables are neutral, and more loose fitting (even with a belt), so take on a little more.
The rubber boot fit style, without a belt, are very close to a sea anchor.
The last thing, if you wade deep, and by yourself, you are asking for it (especially in winter).
Like I always say, "Have fun, be safe, try to do both at the same time".

Jim

Bigfly
Old 10-16-2010, 01:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

".....and a belt cinched tightly over the jacket and waders."

That's the key. Even if you take a MAJOR DUMP you'd be surprised just how little water actually gets past that belt. Don't know if I'd have my (warm?) coat tucked into my Chesties, as that just adds additional bulk water can seep by ....
Old 10-16-2010, 06:33 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I've fallen in twice. Water filled my waders, surprisingly I wasn't worried but calm. Never did drag me under, in fact I bobbed along holding my rod up in the air for about 10 yards and the river deposited me on the bank. Then life became a p i a. I did have a wading belt on but water weighing in at about 8 lb. per gallon I felt like a hippo when I tried to stand up- both legs were filled with water, just up to my knees though. I just sat back down on the bank, made sure that no one I didn't know was watching, layed down and raised my legs slowly up to drain the water out. Got up and since it was summer, I didn't have a problem getting cold. Trees, sweepers or large rocks were not an issue for me.