The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 11:12 AM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default Free books to view and download

I'm guessing many of you already know of this resource but if not, you might enjoy looking around at:

Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

In the search box, one can type in very nearly any keyword and access a near endless list of titles that are available without copyright. I've been spending way too much time reading a number of Victorian-era pieces involving salmon fishing and the flies and tackle used in that period.

Enjoy!

John

Edit: On page #102 of "The Salmon Fly : How to Dress It and How to Use It" (Geo. M. Kelson, ca. 1895), there appears between the pages a tiny feather butt I can't identify, but my first thought was indian crow! Wonder how long it's been resting there? I've found a number of such scraps between the pages of old fly dressing books, but this is the first one I've ever found that was scanned in this manner.

Last edited by ghostdncr; 10-16-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free books to view and download

Thanks that looks like a great resource-- we'll have to put together a recommended reading list so folks know what to look for.

( And it's very cool about that feather.)
Old 10-16-2010, 01:08 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the post John, that's a cool resource. Makes me glad that I have a Sony Reader...

Another great reference for books is Google Books. You can only download some of them, but there are tons of others you can view online.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Thanks. Great site.

If anyone can recommend free fly fishing memoirs I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'm glad I got the Sony. A Kindle can't read epub books.

Finally, you can preview for free some fly fishing books here:

Smashwords - Ebooks from independent authors and publishers

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 10-28-2010 at 09:56 AM.