The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 01:24 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Fishing with a 6 year old...

is something I don't recommend doing if you're gonna be fly fishing.

I took my youngest son to a local Isaac Walton where I'm a member. He fished for approximately 2 seconds. I, on the other hand, hit a small, shaded corner with a few spider, cricket and hopper flies. I probably caught a dozen bluegill, nothing big at all. Just a warm up for the semi-annual trout weekend coming up.

Speaking of which, it sounds as if the water levels are really, really low. So low, in fact, a couple of the guys are going to play golf instead of fishing. I plan on hiking to find some spots and doing what I can.

Any suggestions on tactics in this situation? The stream is extremely clear and water levels will be low. Water temps are still hovering around 70 deg. F. This does not bode well for my weekend. Disappointing....
Old 10-06-2008, 01:28 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing with a 6 year old...

I was at a small stream in the SNP a couple weeks ago and if that's where you're headed, let me suggest .... going golfing. I did a lot of walking for very little fishable water. I wasn't on one of the better (or bigger) streams, though, so I don't know.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:27 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I learned a long time ago that you can go fishing or you can take a kid fishing, but you can't do both.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Axel,

Take up another hoby until the river rises. J/K.... Go fishing with your kids, they might not be "in to it" now but when they get older it will be the best time spent.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:04 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
I learned a long time ago that you can go fishing or you can take a kid fishing, but you can't do both.
Eventually that "kid" may well become your best fishing buddy. Granted young kids lose interest quickly if not catching fish but, when they are, there's nothing like the look on their face. I'll sacrifice my time in order to get my son some time on the water. There will be times he won't want to go. Those times I'll fish for me.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
Eventually that "kid" may well become your best fishing buddy. Granted young kids lose interest quickly if not catching fish but, when they are, there's nothing like the look on their face. I'll sacrifice my time in order to get my son some time on the water. There will be times he won't want to go. Those times I'll fish for me.
pdq 5oh,

I couldn't agree more as that was exactly my point. When my kids were small I always left my own rod behind, instead concentrating my efforts on them having fun and being successful. I learned quickly, to keep them wanting to go back, to end the outing while their interest and was still high. A stop for ice cream on the way home never hurt either.

Today, both my kids still look forward to a days fishing and have some of their fondest childhood memories of being on the water. Lots of pictures too!

Joe
Old 11-12-2008, 03:26 PM

docbluedevil is on a distinguished road

I let my pre-schoolers hold the leader when I have brookies on and then they get to release them. Unfortunately, there are no fly rods in their near future; I had to buy them a fishin' pole with worms.